How much is it worth in pieces?

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
I love my new setup, but keeping it maintained well enough to stay a DD is proving to be much more of a PITA than I thought it would be. I'm no mechanic but I can take shit apart just fine. I'm considering just doing a full part-out and buying a new car. This is not something I'm for sure doing by any means, because I do love the car, but need something reliable, and want something comfortable. So 3800 crew, what do you think I could get out of a full part-out?

The car itself:
- Black 98 GT
- 120kish miles
- 4 door
- Good transmission
- Sunroof, black leather interior
- Shortblock is in nice shape
- Higher-end pioneer head unit with USB in ect.
- "ABS" Rims, I have six rims and tires for the car. 2 of the six tires are bald but the rest aren't bad, and one of the six rims has a crack in it.
- Struts and mounts are totally shot but other than that suspension is nice.
- The underbody is actually in surprisingly awesome shape for being an IL car its whole life.
- Can use my autozone warranty and get someone a brand new set of duralast pads.

The mods:
- Very low mile Gen V
- 2.8" ZZP MPS with extra 3.2" pulley
- Northstar TB
- Ported LIM
- Limited production Phoenelic ZZP S3 IC core with bosch IC pump, frozenboost heat exchanger, and cobra reservoir
- XP-HOT Cam with only about 1,500 miles on it
- Jet coated TOG Headers
- Flow matched 42.5# lucas injectors
- Still have my ported Gen III sitting around that could be sold as well
- GMPP Sway bar
- All new sway bar links
- Nice chrome exhaust tips
- Not sure what brand, but a pretty nice looking chrome CAI.

That's about all I can think of right now. What do youguys think I should do? Between the ride being shitty because of it needing struts and mounts all around, needing brakes and rotors all around, the thing absolutely destroying gas while driving around town, and me having this crazy setup while having limited mechanical knowledge...idk. I love this car a lot and would hate to see it go but I need a reliable car to get me around.

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
I'm sorry I havent been able to get time to help you... did you try a different maf? What did cgp have to say?

I haven't tried cgp yet. Pretty sure I have an account but I'm not on much. Not a bad idea though, might as well make a post and see what they have to say. It's fine man I know you're busy...just get back to me whenever you have some free time if you could....there's cash waiting for ya.

Dude don't demod or sell a car because of his. If a local member cant help take it to a mechanic.

It's not just about this though, I'm also factoring in the $800ish in suspension work it's gonna see asap, plus brakes & rotors all around, the fact that it is getting pretty old and is going to have 140k soon, body is starting to rust, ect. Like I said I love the car and REALLY don't want to demod (I haven't even really gotten a chance to play with it yet because of how it's running), but from a financial standpoint I just don't know if I can keep it. As far as taking it to a mechanic I've tried a few of the reputable shops in the area and no one wants to touch this thing. They'll work on the suspension but they just look at the engine and go wtf.

Your setup isn't anything to crazy for a daily driver.

When you have to hit the throttle every time you brake to keep the engine running and get 9mpg it is. Otherwise you're right, a friend of mine has almost this exact setup, but with no problems and it's not a bad DD at all.

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
I don't actually know your issues with it but if you like it then just work through the problems.

Yeah that's what I'm trying to do, this isn't a for sure thing it's just a thought. Was looking at cars online last night and thinking about how awesome it would be to have a fairly new comfortable car that's now slow and just starts and drives when I tell it to.

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
Modding the shit out of cars got old years ago. Having something fun and nice to drive is way better.

Especially daily drivers. The more stuff you do to it the more the mileage goes down and the less reliable it becomes. That's exactly why I bought my regal and didn't mod the crap out of it. I am perfectly comfortable with just an CAI, pulley and Dp.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
What do youguys think about an 07 passat turbo with I think 80kish miles? What suggestions would youguys have for cars under 10k? What about under 4k?

If you don't like fixing shit then don't buy an out-of-warranty VW.

Could probably find a TSX with higher mileage for 10k, also a hatchback Civic Si.

There's a guy on here selling an Infiniti M45, white with tints and 350Z rims, for not much more. Those are sweet cruisers.

Need more info on what you want and what you do with your car.

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
If you have a vagina and boobs its great.
I'd rather get an mk4 gti.

Do you have any stipulations for a car at all? Fwd, rwd, awd? I'm assuming auto?

:rofl: Yeah I guess they are kinda girly aren't they. I don't really care about the drivetrain as long as it's auto. I guess my stipulations would be automatic, decent looking, preferably black but not a must, not dog ass slow, and reliable.

If you don't like fixing shit then don't buy an out-of-warranty VW.

Could probably find a TSX with higher mileage for 10k, also a hatchback Civic Si.

There's a guy on here selling an Infiniti M45, white with tints and 350Z rims, for not much more. Those are sweet cruisers.

Need more info on what you want and what you do with your car.

That's what I've heard...I will probably just be staying away from VW alltogether then. Are Audis pretty much the same idea? I do love Acuras...I think it would have to be a TL though. Hondas just don't do it for me. Maybe as a second car but not as my only car. Even with an SI I'd get bored. I checked out that thread, but I just really don't like that car. I like the idea of it, seems cool, but it's just not something I'd drive.

The offer is still on the table for my friend taking a look at it. He's a whole lot cheaper than any shop.

Where was he located again? I can't remember.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info