Smoke pouring out when parking?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I'd have to guess oil if its a grey smoke, and if it disappates that fast, I'd shoot a random guess at an oil leak over an exhaust component.

When the car is running or driving chances are the fan is moving the smoke under the car so you don't see it (Fan wouldn't kick on till engine is hot, oil wouldn't start burning on the exhaust until its hot)

I have the same problem with my ranger right now from a leaking valve cover gasket letting a TINY bit of oil hit one of the headers. Only saw the smoke when I turned the truck off because of my Efan, and it was quite a bit for being such a small leak.

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
I'd have to guess oil if its a grey smoke, and if it disappates that fast, I'd shoot a random guess at an oil leak over an exhaust component.

When the car is running or driving chances are the fan is moving the smoke under the car so you don't see it (Fan wouldn't kick on till engine is hot, oil wouldn't start burning on the exhaust until its hot)

I have the same problem with my ranger right now from a leaking valve cover gasket letting a TINY bit of oil hit one of the headers. Only saw the smoke when I turned the truck off because of my Efan, and it was quite a bit for being such a small leak.

agreed!

if the car has a breather on the VC then that is probably your issue, if not, i'd check the VC and see if they are leaking, may be a bad vc gasket.

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
I'd punch the previous owner in the face.

Do you have a breather?

I do have a breather. I do smell that once every so often, but that's not what I'm seeing/smelling now...

It doesn't smell like oil burning really and there's a quite a bit of smoke. My coworker saw it as he was pulling into his parking spot this morning same time I was...

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
It doesn't smell like oil burning really and there's a quite a bit of smoke. My coworker saw it as he was pulling into his parking spot this morning same time I was...

Between my E-fan, and how fast it turned to smoke, it hardly smells like oil at all it defuses so fast on the headers.

Grey smoke can't be much else unless you have a huge exhaust leak and are running pig rich for a moment when you turn off the engine.

I just went out and checked for oil anywhere - none to be found...

I did see axle grease sitting on the half-shaft though... :fu:
Could when I'm turning into a spot, it would fling axle grease onto the exhaust?

That would indeed be another source of grey smoke, Lol!

Chances are the same as the oil, when its on the cold exhaust its not smoking, with the fans running its probably defusing it, engine off, hot exhaust covered in grease, BAM cloud of smoke that is no longer being blown around.

TommyGloves

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 23, 2007
CHICAGO
Real Name
Tom Glover
Looked under the car and the driver side cv boot closest to the trans is pukin' out the grease... bummer.

That sucks...the good news is you can get it fixed within an hour if you go to Lake Cook CV Axle. I've taken my axles there over the past couple of years. I guy's name is John that I normally deal with. They are really reasonable for repairs.

http://www.dexknows.com/business_profiles/lake_cook_c_v-b170625

When you pop out the axle, fluid will pour out so use a bucket or large drip pan.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Why does the car have a breather?

noooo pcv function...so crankcase needs to get vented and all internal pcv passages removed

drivers side inner axle grease has no easy way of making it onto an exhaust part...and the inner doesnt see more than a degree or two of angularity in turns....

does it still have them hacked rails?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info