idle surge/foam in coolant

ProjectGTP

Addict
Jan 24, 2011
a few weeks ago i broke a valvespring. so i replaced them all and also installed a waterpump underdrive pulley(not that it has anything to do with this). once i start the car it will run fine for awhile and then after it warms up my cheap a/f gauge goes all the way to lean and it starts idling like crap and surging and eventually dies. and when i checked the coolant in the radiator its foaming. i heard these are symptoms of a head gasket going but i find it hard to believe. the car seems to run perfectly fine other than the idle. any help?

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
Coolant temps might make the pcm think it needs to lean out if its too hot?

What coolant are you running?

IMHO dexcool seems to get faomy on mutiple cars when it has faster than stock water going thru it. I have had a couple customers come in with foamy problems ( one a GAGT and one LS1) and both said they had a pulley on the pump. Might be too much turbulence in the system

ProjectGTP

Addict
Jan 24, 2011
Coolant temps might make the pcm think it needs to lean out if its too hot?

What coolant are you running?

IMHO dexcool seems to get faomy on mutiple cars when it has faster than stock water going thru it. I have had a couple customers come in with foamy problems ( one a GAGT and one LS1) and both said they had a pulley on the pump. Might be too much turbulence in the system

I'm just running green antifreeze. And its and underdrive pulley so its less water moving. I'm leaning towards it being a head gasket or a cracked head. Maybe the broken valvespring caused something? I drove for about 1 min with it broken.

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
check the plugs, see if theres any deposit in em.

what color is the foam? any coolant in the oil? any oil in the coolant?

borrow a compression tester...:)

if one cylinder is low, prolly something effed up in the head

if two adjacent ones are low then its prolly a gasket.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
I'm just running green antifreeze. And its and underdrive pulley so its less water moving. I'm leaning towards it being a head gasket or a cracked head. Maybe the broken valvespring caused something? I drove for about 1 min with it broken.

dur..... Lol

Im leaning towards the same as far as head gasket or LIM leak. Motor swap time :jg:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info