Some issues with the new setup

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
Just trying to work out the bugs in the new build... I'd say right now the most annoying thing is the car dieing when I put it in gear. I'll start the car and it'll stay running, but the second I put the car in reverse/drive it just chokes and dies. The only way to get it to move is hitting the gas while I'm putting it into gear. Once I get the car going it usually won't die again. Other things.. The idle is a little jumpy when the car is sitting either at a light or just in park. Not too bad though, just flutters between 800 and 1100 rpm. Throttle response also seems a little delayed when I hit the gas at any time driving or from a stop. I'm thinking there's probably one thing causing all of that stuff, but this one I don't think is related. Car heats up pretty good alot. It'll climb all the way up to 210-220, sit there for a bit, and then suddenly just drop back down to 180-190 within a couple seconds. Radiator and overflow tank are full and we pressure tested the coolant system up to 15 psi, so I'm completely clueless on that one.

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
I am sure someone has a better idea, but have you cleaned your MAF? Also, do you have a wideband? do you know if your car ends up going pig rich and that is what is making it die? What are your fuel trims showing when the idle is jumping around and when just before the car dies?

Yeah the MAF is good to go. I didn't have it hooked up at first so I thought that was the cause of all the issues, but it's all set up now and I've driven it enough where the fuel trims should have re-adjusted to having the maf. Let the SES light go off by itself too, didn't reset. No unfortunately I don't have a wideband just yet so I can't see the trims.

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
Yeah the MAF is good to go. I didn't have it hooked up at first so I thought that was the cause of all the issues, but it's all set up now and I've driven it enough where the fuel trims should have re-adjusted to having the maf. Let the SES light go off by itself too, didn't reset. No unfortunately I don't have a wideband just yet so I can't see the trims.
The wideband wont read fuel trims, just AFR. Sounds like you need a scan gauge or a tuner/scanner to see whats going on. Add that to the list as well as a wideband.

how are you bleeding the coolant system?

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
it could be I would think. I could easily see these issues coming up if your car was too rich/too lean...prolly too rich IMO.

The cooling issue is a little odd though. That is usually not tune related, especially if the pcm is programmed for the tstat

Edit: the only thing I can think of is that your coolant sensor is junk. Do you have an aftermarket coolant gauge? or is it stock? I heard stock ones can be junk for sure

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
The fact that your temp gauge reads high then drops to 180ish seems strange. Coolant temps can't drop that quick. I would see if you can get a different coolant gauge along with your wideband. At least hook up a seperate coolant gauge temporarily and see if that also reads the increased engine temps.

Good idea I will see what the scanner says about the actual coolant temp. Will try and get it hooked up tomorrow and scan for knock, check the temps, ect.

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
what i ment was HOW are you bleeding it. Your not just burping the cap right? are you using the bleeder screw on the T-stat housing?
Not to say you dont know how, but some people skip over it and never get all the air out.

Actually that could be my problem. It almost seems like what's happening it the intercooler is doing all the work and the coolant is barely flowing. If I didn't have the IC I'd be overheating every time I drive it.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
it could be I would think. I could easily see these issues coming up if your car was too rich/too lean...prolly too rich IMO.

The cooling issue is a little odd though. That is usually not tune related, especially if the pcm is programmed for the tstat

Edit: the only thing I can think of is that your coolant sensor is junk. Do you have an aftermarket coolant gauge? or is it stock? I heard stock ones can be junk for sure

The fact that your temp gauge reads high then drops to 180ish seems strange. Coolant temps can't drop that quick. I would see if you can get a different coolant gauge along with your wideband. At least hook up a seperate coolant gauge temporarily and see if that also reads the increased engine temps.

It is possible to drop that fast, with a non drilled t stat, dumping a radiator full of 80 degree coolant into a 220 degree engine could easily drop it 40 degrees. This is q common issue with aftermarket thermostats, they will take a high temp to open the first time then cycle fine the rest of the drive. Even my 180 does it, first drive it'll get to 200 ish then pop open, and not go over 180 the rest of the day..... Remember that 210 ish is standard operating temp for a stock 3800. If the car stays hot, I'd maybe play with fan settings and see if you need a bigger radiator. Remember that GT radiator is only 5/8" thick and the GTP is 3/4" thick. 1/8" might not seem like much, but extend that over 4 square feet

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
ive had plenty of parts store thermostats that occilate pretty bad....i only like to use genuine stant t stats, no duracrap or other bullshit

drill with 1/16th drillbit or pull the dongle out if its equipped to prevent airlock and properly bleed the system, fill it up and bleed it through the t stat neck to eliminate the upper hose airbubble

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
Could the tune being off cause all or any of this?
possibly

maybe the fans are just that good. doubtful though.

did you tune it yourself

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info