Cam/IC/GenV Build Thread

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
Finally got to get this started! Here's the basics of the setup: Gen V supercharger with a 2.8" pulley, latest gen zpp phonelic full-size IC, ported LIM, frozenboost heat exchanger, bosch pump, jet-coated TOG headers, XP-HOT cam, LS6 springs, 425.# injectors. Decided to go with the stock replacement timing chain & dampener for now, might go double roller in the future. When I pulled my NGK plugs they seem to have burnt up fairly quickly so I think I might give AL 104s another try. Also finally swapping out my dark yellow headlight lenses :rofl:. A couple of my more mechanically inclined friends are helping me out with this install, learning quite a bit along the way. One of them has an hptuners and still has his file from back when he had a 3800 and his setup was almost exactly like this, so we're going to flash that on and do some tuning from there. That should make for a decent tune until I get paid a couple more times and can have FastKatt get his hands on it. After we're done I'm going to clean up the engine bay a bit. We're done for the night and at this point the cam is in and IC core and blower are on the car. Tomorrow comes the "fun" part, doing all the fabrications for the heat exchanger ect, and fabbing the exhaust together. Forgot to order a new tog downpipe so we're basically going to combine my current 3" and KJ's tog pipe with the bad flex. Some pics.

IMG_20110806_085333.jpg

IMG_20110806_093459.jpg

IMG_20110806_100333.jpg

IMG_20110806_171458.jpg

IMG_20110806_171512.jpg

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
Haha yeah I was thinking about throwing my 3.2 on there but the 2.8 was too enticing. Yeah the reservoir is on the car now, didn't have the reservoir or heat exchanger on yet in the vid. Just finished up for the night, at this point the IC is all set up and the tune is on the car as well as the exhaust. Everything is set to go except wiring the pump into the fuse box and one other problem. Will post about that in a sec.

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
Can't find the picture for some reason, but somehow there's a small piece broken off the spot where the alternator bracket connects to the timing chain cover housing, found my coolant leak :picard:. Trying the JB weld route, REALLY don't want to take the engine apart again.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
that type of alternator tensioner bracket has an integral elbow for the oring that seals to the Tcover WP suction passage....its pretty common for it to snap off of the alternator tensioner but hte Tcover is usually fine, you just have to get the old piece out (one reason they went to the dual plastic elbows)
if your looking at keeping the horizontal bolt alternator bracket look for one for a 99 camaro...itll have the horiz bolt setup but utilize two plastic elbows.

best way to get the old piece out is to use a hacksaw blade cut short and cut it out from the ID to od then use a chisel to break it into a couple pieces and pull it out

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
Yeah that's what we figured it was at first but we took the piece out and got a good look at it and it's actually off the chain cover where it connects. This explains why I loose so much coolant and why I have belt squeak every morning when I start the car. But on the bright side, this and a little wiring and we should be good to go :bigthumb:.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
Yep, should be setting now :rofl:. No way we were tearing everything down again.

Nope, it's a topswap. L36 bottom end.

The reason I ask is the tune you are starting with might not be for a top swap car.... If it is not, throw 5% on the maf table before you go to give you a little extra headroom a lot better to run a little rich than a little lean when the rest of the tune isn't dialed in

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
The reason I ask is the tune you are starting with might not be for a top swap car.... If it is not, throw 5% on the maf table before you go to give you a little extra headroom a lot better to run a little rich than a little lean when the rest of the tune isn't dialed in

Yeah we threw a little extra fuel onto it just to be safe. Runs kinda rough right now because I couldn't find the series 2 to lq4 adapter, so it basically has no MAF right now. Ordered a new one from zzp. After I throw that on just have to get the exhaust flange fixed, drive it a little bit, and do the 3rd oil change.

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
Having a couple issues. 1. It's running pretty hot. Just normal driving temperatures are getting up to 210 ish. 2. It's idling real rough, not like it was before I put the mass air flow sensor on but still rougher than usual. During driving it's fine, it's just when the car is in gear and not moving, and when I'm braking, like when the car is almost stopped. There's also a hesitation when I hit the gas when the car is at a stop, assuming this is related to the idle issue. This is slowly getting better though since I put the MAF on so I'm hoping it's just the fuel trims re-adjusting and this will go away, more worried about the temperature issue. Anything in particular I should look for?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info