To fix or not to fix?

98GTPDriva

TCG Elite Member
Jun 24, 2008
So I took the GTP in to the Chevy dealership near my work to get a few things looked at... one thing nice is that labor down by my work is only $65/hr through the dealership.

However, one of my current issues is that my oil pan is leaking and the gasket needs to be replaced. I do oil changes every 6k and usually at 5k I need to put in about a quarter of a quart. It maybe drips a few drops each week, but it is definitely not a huge leak by any means.

The problem with the fix is that it takes 5.5 hours of labor because there is a lot to take off, etc.. So, the total cost of the fix is around $425 just to replace the damn gasket.

Do you think that it is worth getting the work done now or holding off? I hate having an oil leak (even though it's small), but what should one expect with 136k.

I have the $$$ (that's not the issue), but I am 50/50 on wanting to spend it on something small that won't really affect the driving. I would like to see 180k - 200k out of the car and I drive around 20k -22k each year in it.

Would you do it?

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
just put it this way....the oil leak is helping keep it from rusting apart....

but for peace of mind unplug the neon green connector from the oil pressure sender and see if there's clean oil on the inside that might indicate the ops is going south....cause it can leak a few drops but then one day blow apart and drain yer engine of oil in like 30seconds flat at highway speeds

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
just put it this way....the oil leak is helping keep it from rusting apart....

but for peace of mind unplug the neon green connector from the oil pressure sender and see if there's clean oil on the inside that might indicate the ops is going south....cause it can leak a few drops but then one day blow apart and drain yer engine of oil in like 30seconds flat at highway speeds

I can't believe how much that little bastard can leak.

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
Assuming you're talking about the grand prix, mine has been leaking for at least a year or a year and a half now and I haven't bothered with it. But if you're talking about the g8 I'd fix it. Edit: just realized I replied to this in the 3800 section. Carry on.

98GTPDriva

TCG Elite Member
Jun 24, 2008
UPDATE

I got the car back today and it rides much better and no more oil leak.

However, replacing the hub assembly did not turn off the ABS light. Turns out, the EBCM needs to be replaced too... $1,000 for a part, screw that. I've been with my ABS for a long time, I don't need it that bad. The car brakes just fine!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info