Strut Replacement Question

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
Thinking about replacing my struts & mounts all around. From what I've read it seems like the KYB GR-2s are the best to go with, I don't plan on ever lowering the car and just want as smooth of a ride as possible. Seems like the cheapest deal is from ZZP? $250 for a set of 4 and another $120 for the set of 4 mounts. Am I right on the strut selection and is this the best price I can get them for?

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_prix/products1.php?id=524&catid=138

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
the gr-2s have slightly more agressive compared to stock. rockauto has monroe and kyb and mounts cheaper, plus theres always the discount code. support a board sponsor!

Ok thanks I'll check out rockauto today and see what I can find. What do you mean more aggressive? Like the ride isn't as smooth?

Why not just get quick struts from monroe?

$644 vs. $350 for all 4.

$644 vs. $350 for all 4.

Dude on Rock Auto they have the quick struts for sale for about $77 per corner. That includes EVERYTHING including the strut mounts, you just bolt em on, get an alignment and you're done. No taking off the springs, putting them back on, assembling everything else, etc. Not to mention like someone else mentioned, rock auto 5% and 10% discount codes are always floating around.

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
Dude on Rock Auto they have the quick struts for sale for about $77 per corner. That includes EVERYTHING including the strut mounts, you just bolt em on, get an alignment and you're done. No taking off the springs, putting them back on, assembling everything else, etc. Not to mention like someone else mentioned, rock auto 5% and 10% discount codes are always floating around.

Seriously? That's awesome. Cheapest I've found them otherwise is $161 a strut! Are they a smooth as stock ride? Better/worse/same compared the the KYBs? Are the sensa-tracs worth the extra $$ if I go with the monroes?Also when I swap these out do I have to get a 4-wheel alignment or just a front-end?

I don't have personal experience with them but from what I've heard it's what most people who want to replace stock with stock do. The GR2's I have heard blow out around 20k miles, but most people who get them lower their cars so that could just be with aftermarket springs. As far as the alignment goes, I'd ask the shop when you go in. I've personally done an alignment on my GP but I can't remember if the rears can be tweaked or not.

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
I don't have personal experience with them but from what I've heard it's what most people who want to replace stock with stock do. The GR2's I have heard blow out around 20k miles, but most people who get them lower their cars so that could just be with aftermarket springs. As far as the alignment goes, I'd ask the shop when you go in. I've personally done an alignment on my GP but I can't remember if the rears can be tweaked or not.

Thanks for the info, yeah I don't plan on ever lowering the car so hopefully they would last a little longer. If I go with the sensa-trac quick struts and add the discount code it'd be about $480 shipped, the GR-2s and mounts would be about $400 shipped. Can anyone shed some light on if the sensa-tracs are worth the extra $$? If I went with the economy style quick-struts I could get those for almost $200 less than the sensa-tracs.

G_T_O

TCG Elite Member
May 10, 2009
Thanks for the info, yeah I don't plan on ever lowering the car so hopefully they would last a little longer. If I go with the sensa-trac quick struts and add the discount code it'd be about $480 shipped, the GR-2s and mounts would be about $400 shipped. Can anyone shed some light on if the sensa-tracs are worth the extra $$? If I went with the economy style quick-struts I could get those for almost $200 less than the sensa-tracs.

Agxs are like 475 shipped I found. Just saying lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info