Ac

BoostJunki3

Slow M90 Setup
Oct 13, 2009
Plainfield, IL
Alright so I got my ac recharged at merlins and it semi working now..... But I noticed it isn't as cold as other cars I've riden in. My air also doesn't seem to blow as hard as it should on the highest setting....they also said my car leaks freon so they put a dye in but could find the leak.....

So I guess the questions are what could be causin my ac to work but not as good as it should? Could it be the blower motor/resistor? How am I losing freon but can't see a leak of dye anywhere?

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
1, its super duper hot out. your air isnt going to be working at its max efficiency. actually its struggeling to be as cold as it is.

2, 134a is very small molecules when compared to r12(the superior). it leaks out of hoses, fittings, compressor seals, ect over time. so if your talking about your 11 year old gtp, i wouldnt be shocked.

3, blower motor resistors tend to just work on "high" when they go bad. however you may have something going on with your blower motor....... like it may be seased up a little so its not spinning as fast as it used to.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Have you tried putting it on the recirculate or max flow? What that does is recirculate the already chilled air inside the car so it doesn't have to cool off the air from the outside. That helps a ton, especially after 3-5min, it'll cool down a lot. Other than that, Jeff is right. It's so damn hot out the a/c is going to be working overtime just to keep you in the comfortable area. I'm not even bothering driving my GP, it'll overheat and not cool me anywhere near as well as my Evo's updated and modern HVAC system.

hellraiser319

Hellraising since 1986
May 17, 2010
West Bend, WI
If the air feels warm/humid at some points, they might have slightly overcharged the system and the ECM is turning it off until it gets to a safe pressure again to try running the compressor. This is what I'm going through right now...Blower resistor for malfunctioning fan speeds, otherwise if its only blowing in one place, or incorrect places, loose vacuum hose/failed blend door motor.

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
My girlfriend has a new 11 civic. There AC is not very good on it suprisingly. I bring this up because we are talking about new cars. It cold, but not as cold as my GP. My GP actually gets really cold. Especially after a few minutes, the pleather (fake leather seats) gets cold too. I usually have to turn it down after a mildly long drive. I have never recharged it eather. I better knock on wood.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
sounds like you may have a HVAC vent issue. im not sure if those are controled by vacuum or not, maybe someone else will chime in

My monte is vacuum controlled so I would guess a GP is too since they are both W bodies. I had an issue where the the would be on high and make a ton of noise but the air doesn't blow hard. I couldn't find a vac leak so I found the actuator under the dash and opened it manually. Air blows hard out the vents now.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info