Oil in my radiator..WTF..

jreed

Apr 30, 2010
chi town
In short I have a L32 that had a gen3 lim and blower on it. I installed a gen5 lim and blower on it a few days ago. after start up it ran (rough) for about 5-6 min when i noticed a mix of oil and coolant/water pouring out of the radiator.:dunno: It does not appear to be any coolant in the oil but only checked from the dip stick and fill hole. Any ideas what would cause this oil to be in the coolant/radiator.

Mod xpx cam, double roller, n*tb, ported heads,

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
broken trans cooler or you just managed to get some oil dripped into the cyl head coolant ports (how much oil came out like a few drops?) you sure it wasnt dexsludge floating int he coolant (an lim swap tends to knock things loose)

the only other way for oil to get intot he coolant is the front or rear cover gaskets where the coolant passage is fairly close to the high pressure oil galleys

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
James, I thought all those same things. I did the LIM with him on Saturday and when we drained the coolant out before starting, there was oil in it. He sent me a pic yesterday of the oil backing up out of the radiator into his funnel and it looked like A LOT more than what had come out when we drained it beforhand. We didn't do anything with oil until everything was reassembled and did an oil change, so we didn't just pour oil in the coolant passages. I have to imagine that if there was something THAT screwed up with the LIM gaskets that there would also be water in the oil.

I suggested draining the oil into a really clean pan and checking it for water. If its clean, put it back in.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Just for arguments sake, would the oil go to the top since it's floats on water? Thus making it look like the radiator is full of oil, but it's actually just that little bit that floated to the top and came out of the funnel? Ehh?

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
10sec found an acorn again!

yeah he's probably got a boogered front or rear cover gasket it sounds like pressureized oil from the main galleys is getting past a gasket and into the coolant.

even if the gaskets are oem doesnt mean they cant fail, andy (sleeperLS) rear oem cover gasket had split and was leaking coolant externally behind the flexplate but also very likely it was internal as well since the split extended into the crankcase side

jreed

Apr 30, 2010
chi town
Yeah the oil did pretty much float to the top but was A LOT more then a few drops. I did then drain the coolant and there wasnt a lot of oil in it but def was a lot of oil residue in the coolant i drained out.
117.JPG
[/IMG]

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
Even if that were the case, the oil doesn't flow in such a way that there would be such a prevalent amount of oil in the water, and (as far as we know) no water in the oil. Water is usually going to get into the oil long before the converse, especially in the case of a LIM gasket. Everything seemed to seat properly when we put the LIM gasket on, bolts all lined up, it sat snug, and he's not burning any coolant either.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Yeah the oil did pretty much float to the top but was A LOT more then a few drops. I did then drain the coolant and there wasnt a lot of oil in it but def was a lot of oil residue in the coolant i drained out.
so before the lim/blower swap you already had oil in the coolant that you drained out to do the job? that means preexisting condition

MLS head gaskets, gm lim and felpro sc gaskets. is it anyway to test/find out if one or both of those gaskets leaking? Would it hurt the engine to run in its current state? could it be anything else that could cause a problem like this? are head gaskets completely ruled out?
its hard to test since if you pressurize the passage it'll be damn near impossible to find where its leaking into since its not external and even if you did it with the WP off it'd be a fucking cunt to locate it.
you could pull the WP off and pressureize the oil sending unit port with compressed air and see if you can locate any bubbles throught he timing cover water passages but the block to cover gasket area is about 2 inches in so it'd be a pita to see it...though if you put dawn dish soap in the cooling system beforehand or smeared it arouund the inside of the ports after removing the pump, you can probably see a buncha bubbles form.
i wouldnt drive it around like this, if the cooling system got hot and pressurized as soon as you shut the engine off coolant would bleed into the oil passages and thats no good...coolant makes a shitty lubricant....HG not a chance, no pressureized oil passages exist in the head to block junction point.

gaskets should be okay. I know brian just did your regal. Any problems with it?
yeah for some reason the car turned red,black and blue :drums:

Im guessing maybe that the new gaskets for the lim did not seat properly
thats a pressureized leak, cooling system will hit 16psi, crankcase wont hit anything but vac or atmospheric unless the gaskets are leaking manifold air intot he crankcase and that would only be under boost. the only way for oil to get intot he radiator is a pressure system leak to an adjacent coolant passage, my guess is the timing cover gasket may have slipped/split as the tcover had to be removed for the install of the cam sometime ago

Even if that were the case, the oil doesn't flow in such a way that there would be such a prevalent amount of oil in the water, and (as far as we know) no water in the oil. Water is usually going to get into the oil long before the converse, especially in the case of a LIM gasket. Everything seemed to seat properly when we put the LIM gasket on, bolts all lined up, it sat snug, and he's not burning any coolant either.
bingo....btw..... whats black and blue and red all over? :hsughlol:

jreed

Apr 30, 2010
chi town
so before the lim/blower swap you already had oil in the coolant that you drained out to do the job? that means preexisting condition

Yeah there was and has always been a rust colored residue in the coolant even with the 1st engine this is the second. I was told it wasnt much to worry about. Do a few coolant flushes and i would be ok. Never did really clear up.

its hard to test since if you pressurize the passage it'll be damn near impossible to find where its leaking into since its not external and even if you did it with the WP off it'd be a fucking cunt to locate it.
you could pull the WP off and pressureize the oil sending unit port with compressed air and see if you can locate any bubbles throught he timing cover water passages but the block to cover gasket area is about 2 inches in so it'd be a pita to see it...though if you put dawn dish soap in the cooling system beforehand or smeared it arouund the inside of the ports after removing the pump, you can probably see a buncha bubbles form.
i wouldnt drive it around like this, if the cooling system got hot and pressurized as soon as you shut the engine off coolant would bleed into the oil passages and thats no good...coolant makes a shitty lubricant....HG not a chance, no pressureized oil passages exist in the head to block junction point.
Could all of this have anything to do with EGR being blocked off properly? Some of the vac lines might not be routed correctly? The gen3 lim had the coolant to tb and egr ports blocked off, the gen5 does not have the coolant passages blocked on lim. the egr is blocked on the outside of the lim. The balance shaft is also removed.

thats a pressureized leak, cooling system will hit 16psi, crankcase wont hit anything but vac or atmospheric unless the gaskets are leaking manifold air intot he crankcase and that would only be under boost. the only way for oil to get intot he radiator is a pressure system leak to an adjacent coolant passage, my guess is the timing cover gasket may have slipped/split as the tcover had to be removed for the install of the cam sometime ago

Could the removal/install of the lim cause this problem to get worse/appear ? ive had this for about A year and never had a problem like this until now.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info