some good info on gmpp trans chains

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
hmmmm. it could become like a scavenger hunt...

this is from the turbo ls7 monte build thread here:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-performance/1422727-july-hot-rod-turbo-409-2007-monte-carlo-2.html

I just saw the article last night, and caught the post today. Awesome build!

Where did Hot Rod get the 3.42 final drive from? Was that a typo, or did the final drive change? I believe that the 1" racing chain only comes in 1:1.

I have a ton of half finished projects and several weddings to attend this summer, but if you let me know when you are heading to Milan I'd like to see these two turbo cars go at it if I can. JDMC5 has been wanting to go too to see where his car is at, and if it is late enough in the summer I have a few mods planned that I'll want to test.

nmp0098: You are right about the 1" x 3/8" racing chain ratio coming in a 1:1 ratio or 35 drive teeth to 35 driven teeth. It also comes in a 33/37 or 37/33 ratio - not quiet sure which number goes on top or the bottom. There is also a 1" x 7/16" chain which replaced the 1" x 7/16" chain in race applications but it does not come in a 1:1 ratio. The 3.42 is the final drive/differential assemby for the Torsen unit installed in the car. It also comes in a 3.29 final drive. These combinations/componets come right from GMPP and the parts they use on the 1100HP Ecotech's they race.

goofed the 1" x 7/16" replaced the 1" x 1-3/8" -

I must be tired 1" X 7/16" Replaced 1" x 3/8"

Thanks for the info, and congrats again on getting into car mag of record! Did you score your chain used, or is it still available through some back channel? The chain in my transmission is keeping me from bolting on slicks.

My chain is brand new, not used - It came directly from GMPP - what you would call new 'old stock'. My understanding is, this chain is no longer available at the retail level but like you suspected is available through certain channels - they are still using it in their Ecotech racing program. GMPP and GM both have had some input into this build which has made available to me parts and technical knowledge otherwise not available to the marketplace. I have been very fortunate in that respect because some issues literally could not have been resolved without their help. I just wish they would have contributed financially but I guess I can not expect wonders like that.

sooo uhhh.... who wants to go ransack some ecotec racing team somewhere?

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I am still wondering why ZZP hasn't tried to make their own. I know it's risky as they would have to test it and prove it's strength before they sold it, but still. There's at least 15-20 people on the prowl for a 1" chain, and many more to come with all the turbo builds becoming more affordable. If i had a 1" chain, i would definitely keep my car and push it into the 9's with all the amenities it has, like a/c, radio, interior, heat, etc. However, i'm not about to spend 2/3's of what my cars worth on just a chain...

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Yea, me too, i was like fuuuuuck that, i'm not paying $1000 for a chain :rofl: Now I would be sitting on a gold mine. Be able to sell the trans for probably $3500 all day long used. I'd be pretty hard pressed to not demod and bank. But I don't have that so owell. The 7/8" will hold enough for me to have fun, if i ever take my car to the track again.

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
Sounds like the guy is a BIIIIIIIG spender, probably dropped 30k+ on this monte carlo build through GMPP alone, I'm sure someone made a few phone calls for him.

There are a few new chains/gearsets somewhere, probably tucked away for replacement chains for ecotech racing cars, but will never be sold to the public until 20 years from now when they clean out their shops

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Sounds like the guy is a BIIIIIIIG spender, probably dropped 30k+ on this monte carlo build through GMPP alone, I'm sure someone made a few phone calls for him.

There are a few new chains/gearsets somewhere, probably tucked away for replacement chains for ecotech racing cars, but will never be sold to the public until 20 years from now when they clean out their shops

They will probably wind up on ebay like the laminova cores for 42$ or some shit.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
any more thoughts on this?

i am surprised there isn't something yet- i know the 3800 world is dying and dying quickly- but with how fast these things get picked up used and the prices they fetch I am surprised no one has started trying to get something going- if used ones are getting 1000$ still... and originally were sold new for 500$? (i forget what they were new) I am surprised something hasn't been introduced at a $750 pricepoint...

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
the fwd trans's have chain's in em and they are the weak point of anything high powered 4t65e trans'd.... with the one inch chain you can make some ridiculous power and not worry as much.

7/8ths inch chain is going to stretch over time more than likely.

ZPerformance gear ratio conversion kits are based on the single chain/gear setup used some GM transmissions. The 4t65e uses a double chain setup which can fail or wear out quickly on a modified car. By upgrading to our modified gear/single chain setup strength of the system can be increased by over 30%!
Kits include:

• Drive sprocket
  • Driven sprocket
  • Channel plate gaskets
  • Valve body gaskets
  • Thrust washer
  • 7/8" drive chain
Stock gear ratios:

2.93 - 97+ Grand Prix GTP, Regal GS, Bonneville SSEi, 04+ Monte Carlo/Impala SS
3.05 - Most NA cars- 04+ Grand Prix GT (non supercharged), Regal/Lasabre, Bonneville, Monte/Impala (non SS), Park Avenue
3.29 - 97-03 Grand Prix GT, 04+ GTP (Comp G only)

from zzp

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info