Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
getting over 30mph is definitely not a myth. i was happy w/ my 20mpg CITY (not highway) b/c of my heavy foot now that i have a turbo.

colleen's car gets close to 30mph highway (when we actually do legit highway driving). i'm sure mine could too.

mr.gto

Deleted New Name
Jul 27, 2009
getting over 30mph is definitely not a myth. i was happy w/ my 20mpg CITY (not highway) b/c of my heavy foot now that i have a turbo.

colleen's car gets close to 30mph highway (when we actually do legit highway driving). i'm sure mine could too.

well i know they can do 30 mpg..... my dads stock 2002 gtp will do 29-30 at 65 with cruise set.... but I was talking about major gains into the 40's

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
There's definitely ways you can tune the car to get better MPG. It would be very little gain, if any, unless it was a modded un-tuned car that needed the tune in the first place. All in all, not worth the trouble or the money for your dad, or friends park ave. The best fuel saver for the 3800's is your right foot.

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
tunin will net you AT MOST 5-6 regardless of cars, and thats only because most cars that try and get tunes for MPG are modded and lost MPG due to various tuning issues in the first place if that makes sense...
usually getting your trims down to +/- 2% ltft helps for 1-2 mpgs and beyond that its just about how perfect your cruising tune is. Lean cruise tables can be adjusted but really doesn't help too much.

just getting your car tuned to perfection will net you a couple mpg.
when i had my 3800 fbody, i used to get 29-31 mpg stock (3.42 open rear), then the mods started. when i was done i was getting roughly 11-15 highway (12 psi, 63lb injectors, 411s, 4200 stall converter, no lockup). three weeks of logging and tweaking on every ride i took whether it be a short cruise to class or a long cruise at nights got me up to the 15-16 mpg highway range, i'm not even going to mention city.

40-50 is a LOT. maybe if you ran on 1 cylinder, downhill, with a tail wind, with brake pads removed, on bald 13" tires...

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
Also, I can beat the cruse control by 1 -4+ mpg, depending on the terrain, Remember that cruse control is not programed for efficiency, it is just programed to keep you at a specific speed, carefully using your right foot will net you better every time.

THIS ^^^ excellent point that many people overlook... if its a flat open road, not much of a diff... but even in light hilly terrain, it makes a huge diff using your right foot vs cruise control

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info