So yeah what does a bad plug wire do

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Sunday I did a few thing to the GTP such as changed the oil, NGK TR5 plugs, new s/c idler pulley, hacked out a 01+ style air dam to fit with my FMHE, and flashed the PCM to get the car to run a little leaner. Now under boost and heavy loads I get what I feel is a misfire and the car kind of, well runs like shit. I ran a few scans and I am not getting any KR, no belt slip,I changed the plugs back to the last set to try and rule that out, went back to my last PCM flash to try and rule that out and I am just not getting any where.

The only other thing is maybe I internally broke a plug wire and that is very possible being that are just some part store brand wires. I dont even know that brand of plug wire that is on the car or how old they are. So I am thinking a new set of AL 103 plugs because 3800s love them and a new set of OE wires? Sound good?

Oh the PT is not picking up any mis fires. I guess because it is not bad enough to trip out the computer

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Any miss under load that I've had has been due to plug wires. One of my wires got so hot from the headers that it melted and then cracked underneath out of sight. And it seems any time you take them on and off once or twice they go to shit.

Rockauto has had a few wholesale closeouts on Delco plug wires recently. I got a set of OEM wires for $20 last month that are going on the car soon.

Droptopta69

Hopes and dreams racing
Apr 18, 2010
Sunday I did a few thing to the GTP such as changed the oil, NGK TR5 plugs, new s/c idler pulley, hacked out a 01+ style air dam to fit with my FMHE, and flashed the PCM to get the car to run a little leaner. Now under boost and heavy loads I get what I feel is a misfire and the car kind of, well runs like shit. I ran a few scans and I am not getting any KR, no belt slip,I changed the plugs back to the last set to try and rule that out, went back to my last PCM flash to try and rule that out and I am just not getting any where.

The only other thing is maybe I internally broke a plug wire and that is very possible being that are just some part store brand wires. I dont even know that brand of plug wire that is on the car or how old they are. So I am thinking a new set of AL 103 plugs because 3800s love them and a new set of OE wires? Sound good?

Oh the PT is not picking up any mis fires. I guess because it is not bad enough to trip out the computer

thats most likely your problem, id revert to the old tune and see. the computer can pick up even the slightest miss. so idk what to say about that. but could be due to leaning out or as i call it now "nmskulling"

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Why do we use such shitty plugs? We need RVR to come up in here and educate us on a real plug to use on our cars. :dunno:

Ron Vogel uses Champion spark plugs IIRC.

Whats the final word on that plugs I should use and what gap? Everyone seems to have their preferred brand of plug and gap.

I never even heard of anyone running TR5's on a 3800... . I run TR6 @ 55.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
Ron Vogel uses Champion spark plugs IIRC.

I never even heard of anyone running TR5's on a 3800... . I run TR6 @ 55.

TR55 are what is "recomended" temp for a GT... If you want a colder TR plug, run a TR7, TR8, to TR8R (race) (can be bought from ZZP or sparkplugs.com)

I actually run the TR6i, the iridums idle much nice, and even though James will talk shit about rare metal plugs, I didn't see any difference in KR from the 103/104 - TR6i :dunno:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info