installed my ic and now it wont stay running

98dustingtp

Regular
Oct 18, 2010
waukesha
so i purchased a wbodystore full stage intercooler on black friday just got around to putting it on the car, i also did a ported lower intake, ported blower and zzp ported tb. My question is when i start the car it will rev to 1500rpm then drop to 300rpm and try and revive itself almost like its choking out.

I have the valve cover breather on that it came with, any ideas.. also got a P0171 code for lean bank one... any help is greatly appreciated

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Sounds like your typical vacuum leak going on there. Spray some brakecleen around, if it revs higher (assuming you can even keep it running) then there's your leak. I think propane does the same thing (not 100% sure) so if you have a torch laying around just use that, less messy. Obviously don't like the torch though.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
yup sounds like a vac leak (the code confirms the pcmn is adding fuel to account for unsampled air)

you have the oem L67 tb/maf or a N*/LS1 with external maf?
oem TB you can drill/tap into the oem fresh air supply passage (or into the passage on the blower) and run it to the VC.
N*/LS1 you can use the oem sample tube unless it was blocked off in which case you can knock out the plug and tap with 1/8th in NPT to run a line to the VC

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
next time you have it off and look at the gasket surface you will see the TB coolant passage as well as another hole...this is a passage that ducts fresh metered air from in front of the throttle blade but behind the maf for the OEM fresh air supply for the PCV system...find a sutable spot to tap into and run a hose to the VC oil fill cap.

orr you could just tune the maf table to idle on the VC breather vacum leak....if you let it run long enough it'll learn the trims...but because they are so far off the pcm will knock the LT's back to 0 then let it adjust again so sometimes it'll still idle funny

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I am going togo against James and say I dont think this is a fresh air supply issue. Sounds to me like installer error. Core not sealing? gaskets? maybe some IC bolt(s) not installed? Sounds like a HUGE vack leak.

I had a similar issue after I made a pass at GLD. The car would just not idle right and it sounded like it had a cam. Driving around it was fine, but at slow speeds or idle it just wanted to die. I had to set the idle at 1200 so I could drive it home with no issues. I forgot what the fix was but I was pretty sure one of my IC bolts came off or something. Maybe Ron Vogel can chime in, he fixed it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info