Popping exhaust

m_dogg

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 23, 2008
This is kinda annoying...every time I get the car up to speed and let off the gas, I hear/feel popping in the exhaust like it backfires or something, worst is on the highway :S Recently I cleaned my MAF, replaced PVC, and changed spark plugs. I always kinda felt it but now it got to a point where I get worried. Car's top swapped L26, rockered with gen V, N*, full exhaust. It pulls hard when I get on it. No misfires are recorded when popping occurs. Any ideas?

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Exhaust is too big, and it's loud too...so you can hear how poor the scavenging is. Your getting raw fuel past the exhaust valve, and too much heat in the exhaust when it should be in the cylinder also. Higher compression requires a leaner mix, with less timing. I would start trying to hit something like a 12-12.5 AFR with a max of 15-17 degrees advance.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
His exhaust is not too loud, it's barely loud enough to pick up inside the car,and it's an SLP, not too big either :rofl: Second, his problem has nothing to do with WOT, therefore the AFR is moot. On top of that, GL getting a non-i/c'd m90 car with an l26 bottom end to run anywhere near 12:1 AFR without KR on pump gas. Not happening.

MDogg, send me a vid with your phone of this happening, definitely very odd...

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
In all seriousness, the occasional Exhaust pop usually means a rich condition (this is why it happens on Decel) and are not usually something to worry about as there is not much damage that can be caused... The backfires that go into your intake side due to a lean condition on the other hand, are very bad, and should be fixed immediately, but normally those are on Acel, not Decel

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Didn't you have some burned valves? Or is that taken care of? Burned up exhaust valves make kind of a popping sound.

Some sort of sealing issue, Burnd valve, messed up valve seat, head gasket bridge blown out... Many options, not tearing into it until maybe the end of April, or beginning of May. shit has been broke for 2 years, whats another few weeks... on the up side, I did run a 14 on 4 - 5.5 cylinders

m_dogg

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 23, 2008
MDogg, send me a vid with your phone of this happening, definitely very odd...

My cell phone vids = FAIL. Gotta stop by one of these days and you'll see for yourself. Few things I've been looking at, AFR 10.8, o2s in 1025mv range, LTFT -10 - all going WOT that is.

Got an original GM o2 sensor, will put that on this week along with other minor things...new belt and some pulleys and other shit.

m_dogg

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 23, 2008
I remember it was happy on e85 :D

It was kinda on the rich side with 93 but not like that lol. All this started happening shortly after I cleaned MAF so it could be relatd. Gotta make an appointment for a tune session haha, I wont forget to bring the beverages this time...

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
I've had it happen on other cars I've rodded, but it's easier to 'splain in 3800 language.

Back when I was playing with DP sizing, I got really bad popping with the 3" DP, and 3" exhaust. I was tuning with an AFC, and reading the plugs to check AFR. Couldn't make the car happy with the big pipes. I installed a cone taper inside the DP that reduced the diameter to 2.5. Car picked up a bunch, and the popping went away. I was able to bring the tune in much better also. Headers will react differently than ported mannies, but you get the idea. Generally, higher CR will require leaner AFR. If that means dropping the timing a bunch, then so be it. IMHO, anyone considering a build with a SC, and the L36/26 block should be intercooled, or expect to have headaches with KR.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Just pointing out your issues are most likely not the same as his.

Poping at idle is an issue, poping at decel is not an issue, just sayin

IMHO, anyone considering a build with a SC, and the L36/26 block should be intercooled, or expect to have headaches with KR.

I wish someone had told me that 4 years ago. but it is the truth, with headers, and a CAI, i couldn't even run 15* w/o KR

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info