My stupid regal stalls when you connect any computer to it.

Handsome Jesus

A V6? What a ripoff...
TCG Premium
Jun 9, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
Alright guys, this problem is driving me nuts. I have to tune the car with an offboard setup, disconnecting the PCM every time because of this. (this is a 99 regal GS btw. cam n stuff)

Basically trying to connect to the car whether you want to scan, log, read codes, or anything stalls the car. It doesnt matter how fast I'm going or what I'm doing, the car just shuts off. It might be displaying security when it does this. (Haven't tried it in a while)

The ideas people have given me are BCM grounds (location? didn't know this existed), Replace PCM (Done and did not fix).

I'm just hoping somone else has had this problem before. we have tried: DHP, HPTuners, LS1M, Snapon MT2500, Autotap. Everything kills it.

Post up some ideas, details of what I can look at etc. wiring diagrams, whatever might help. I'm sure the dipshits at the dealer won't be able to figure it out. They wouldn't wanna touch this thing anyway.

Thanks,

-DD

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
couple tsb's
Bulletin No.: 10-08-45-001B
Date: October 25, 2010
Subject: Information for Electrical Ground Repair - Use New Replacement Fasteners with Conductive Finish
Models:
2011 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Trucks (including Saturn)
2010 and Prior HUMMER H2, H3
2009 and Prior Saab 9-7X

Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to add the 2011 model year and update the Warranty Information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 10-08-45-001A (Section 08 - Body and Accessories).

Electrical Ground Repair Overview
Proper electrical system function relies on secure, stable and corrosion-free electrical ground connections. Loose, stripped, or corroded connections increase the possibility of improper system function and loss of module communication. These conditions may also lead to unnecessary repairs and component replacement.
In general, electrical ground connections are accomplished using one, or a combination of the following attachment methods:
-Welded M6 stud and nut-Welded M6 nut and bolt-Welded M8 nut and bolt

Determine which attachment method is used and perform the appropriate or alternative repair as described in this bulletin.
M6 Weld Stud Replacement
Caution
Use only the GM-approved replacement fasteners with conductive finish for electrical ground repair.

1.Select a location adjacent the damaged or missing M6 ground stud having 20 mm (0.79 in) clearance behind the panel surface and 20 mm (0.79 in) clearance surrounding the M6 conductive rivet stud flange.2.Using GM approved residue-free solvent or equivalent, remove any grease from the repair site and allow to dry.
Note
Ensure 20 mm (0.79 in) clearance is maintained behind the panel to be drilled.
3.Drill a 10 mm (0.40 in) diameter hole through the panel.

4.Remove paint and primer from the area surrounding the 10 mm (0.40 in) hole until bare metal is visible.

Important
The M6 conductive rivet stud as shown, can accommodate a panel thickness range of 0.7-4.2 mm (0.03-0.17 in). If there are layers of sheet metal, they should be touching without any air gaps to ensure a good ground.

5.Select a M6 conductive rivet stud. Refer to the Parts Information section of this bulletin.

Note
Use the GE-50317 rivet stud tool kit.

6.Place the M6 conductive rivet stud (1) in the 10 mm (0.40 in) hole. Assemble the rivet stud tool (2) with the groove and flare side facing the rivet stud, then the washer and the M6 nut (3).

7.Using a wrench on the rivet stud tool, and a socket on the M6 nut, secure the M6 conductive rivet stud.8.Ensure the rivet stud is securely fastened, WITHOUT ANY detectable movement.9.Completely wrap the threads of the rivet stud with painters tape or equivalent.
Note
The rivet stud and surrounding panel area MUST BE properly refinished PRIOR to the installation of the ground wire terminal and conductive nut to maintain a secure, stable and corrosion-free electrical ground.
10.Refinish the repair area using an anti-corrosion primer. Refer to Anti-Corrosion Treatment and Repair in SI.11.Allow the refinished repair area to cure sufficiently before removing the protective material applied to the rivet stud threads.12.Remove the painters tape or equivalent from the rivet stud threads.13.Using GM approved residue-free solvent or equivalent, thoroughly clean the rivet stud threads to remove any adhesive and allow to dry.14.Using a small brush, apply Dielectric Lubricant GM P/N 12377900 (Canadian P/N 10953529) to the threads of the M6 conductive rivet stud.
Note
Fretting corrosion is a build-up of insulating, oxidized wear debris that can form when there is a small motion between electrical contacts. The oxidized wear debris can accumulate at the electrical contact points causing the electrical resistance across the connection to increase.
15.Carefully remove ANY corrosion or contamination that may be present on the electrical ground wire terminal. 16.Install the electrical ground wire terminal to the rivet stud.17.Select a M6 conductive nut. Refer to the Parts Information section of this bulletin.18.Install the M6 conductive nut to the rivet stud and:
Tighten
Tighten to 8 Nm (71 lb in).
19.Verify proper system operation.

Bulletin No.: 00-06-04-049B
Date: December 19, 2003
TECHNICAL
Subject:
Various Driveability Symptoms - Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Illuminates Intermittently, ABS Light On, DTCs Set, Engine Will Not Start (Repair Wire(s))

Models:
1997-2003 Buick Century, Regal Built Prior to 2/03
2000-2003 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo Built Prior to 2/03
1999-2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Built Prior to 10/1/00 - VIN Breakpoint 1F136536

Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to add additional models and model years and to include possible ABS indicator illuminated. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-06-04-049A (Section 06 - Engine).
Condition
Some customers may comment on one or more of the following conditions:
^Anti-Lock Brake System Warning Light illuminated
^Intermittent MIL/Service Engine Soon indicator illuminated
^Engine will not start
^Engine stalls after start up
^Various electrical system failures
^Various driveability concerns

Cause
These conditions may be caused from the engine wiring harness chaffing against the mounting ring on the A/C accumulator. This contact may cause a rub through to the wires enclosed in that harness, resulting in the above conditions. Damage to the harness may also result in several stored diagnostic trouble codes.
Correction
Inspect and repair any damaged wires.

Left side of the engine compartment, at the base of the left strut tower
Below LH Side Of Steering Column

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info