My Turbo Monte Build for 2011

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Turbo Monte Build for 2011

Well, it is that time of the year. I got my Monte pushed into the garage today and got her in good position. I wish it was a badass turbo build, but it is more along the lines of the weakest turbo build posted to date prolly. Turbo is small for now, but will be upgraded in the future. I intend to reach the limit of this turbo with the s1x, so we will see how quick she gets.

Here are some pics I uploaded, still have no idea how to post up images in the actual post (Mook, appreciate it if you could help me out with that). All of the piping I am going to clean up and paint glossy black, polishing up the FMIC, new air filter going in. The intake conversion with hv3 is also going to get painted. Wrapping all the exhaust pipes, etc.

Here is the turbo kit and extra parts that are going in the car. I had to throw those pretty trailing arms in there too (had those for a while).

IMG_0673.JPG

IMG_0674.JPG

Tight working quarters, some of the work is already done since I sold my gen v and LIM a bit ago. Still have a majority of the work to do though.

IMG_0676.JPG

IMG_0680.JPG

I am planning on getting a new set of PLOGs, odds and ends gaskets, and might re-work my cooling system this summer. I just have to decide if I want to get my car up and running asap or wait a bit longer and upgrade more things. I have a trans cooler coming which I am running independent of the radiator. If I upgrade, I am going to order a custom radiator without the trans cooler and hook that up to improve cooling. My car has always run a bit too hot in the summer IMO. If I take my time, I might also want to throw a double roller chain on there since my jp single will prolly give way soon.

More pics to come as I take it apart a bit more and start building it up. First build on my own, hopefully I don't break too much junk.

Last edited:

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
just grab a 1st gen W 3.4 LQ1 radiator (1 1/4" thick core usually though sometimes you can still find the 1 3/8ths)...they can be had for pretty cheep and just get the lower radiator hose from a 95/96 regal 3.8

it'll provide plenty of cooling

awesome, appreciate it man! That will be much cheaper than what my plan was. Does that radiator have the built in trans cooler? only reason I ask is b/c I won't need one. I guess I can just leave it open to air though.

Will those radiators fit in the Monte's? The oversized ones you can buy from like zzp or wbody store won't fit in the monte carlos I guess. Would I just need thinner fans or will it be a play it by ear senario? appreciate the help, like I said you just saved me some serious money and time really.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Nice man!

Those oversized radiators that zzp sells dont fit in montes??? wtf, cause all those are, are what james suggested and even mine was from the junkyard

huh... is that ldyzluvdis' old kit?

Appreciate it HK, there is a caption that says they don't fit the Montes, we will see though. I might have to double check with James or someone else on if the radiator will fit or not then, at least get the full dimensions. I don't mind making stuff fit either.

It is indeed his old kit. The turbo is pretty much flawless, no shaft play or anything. Does not appear to be leaking or any issues with the turbo. I drove his stock gtp with this kit at only 14ish psi and it was already faster than my gen V set-up. I can't freakin wait to get her up and running.

:bigthumb: good luck! this is gonna be sick

Appreciate it Dan, I like the fact that I can expand with this kit. Already has the oversized FMIC, and the piping, tial bov and wastegate.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Well just fyi, stoney on clubgp made 416whp iirc on a GM46 turbo, so you should be good!

:eek3: that just lit a fire under my butt. Although I am not going to tune it on a dyno, maybe I should make a trip when I get her tuned just to see the power numbers.

in what world did monte's not come offered with the 3.4L DOHC V6 hmmmmm?

they are probably refering to the fans not bolting up or the angled lower neck but thats fixable with the proper lower rad hose or fans from a 3.4 dohc first gen W

Thanks mano, that is a really good point. There is a junk yard right down the way filled with GM cars I could check out.

Nice man, I'm looking forward to seeing this put together. Love how the car's still rocking the wheel covers too.

Thanks, I enjoy making the car look as stock as possible. Most everyone around here wouldn't even think it is possible to have a "fast" Monte Carlo....Little do they know:noes:

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I have been tearing into my car for a good bit today. If I bust nuts I could have everything pulled in a couple hours, but I have just been taking my time all day. Going to drain trans fluid, undo the rear headers, and pull the axles. Prolly call it quits after that until I sleep for a while, then just pull it all out when I wake up.

I thought the worst part of this was going to be taking off my slp headers. They pretty much fell off after a couple wiggles. I knew I had an exhaust leak toward the rear of the headers, but little did I know the crossover really wasn't even into the headers :hsughlol:

I did dump the oil and I am not sure if what I saw was the aftermath of a busted head gasket of if some coolant got into the oil from me taking off the intake and the car not running for a while? There was a good amount of clear fluid that came out before the oil even started to dump into the pan. Anyone have thoughts on this? If the head gasket is screwed I would rather replace it when I get the motor out rather than doing it later.

I will post up some more pics soon.

Looks like u will have a nice setup man. Good luck with the build

appreciate it. You should post up some pics of your gtp as well.

AjL227

Do You Even?
Feb 19, 2008
I don't really know what I would need to make it work. I think the machined cover is it, but I dunno if I need anything else.

Machined oil pump cover should be it.

You will need to have the crank gear key way chamfer machined, as well the backside of the cam gear. This will set proper tolerances for even wear on the double row chain. If these gears are not machined, neither will be fully seated or have proper offset between each other causing uneven wear and eventually total chain failure. I strongly believe ZZP sells the machined pump cover, encouraging people to install their timing set improperly. Once the double roller timing set is properly machined and fully seated, you will not need a machined oil pump cover. My front cover is only double gasket'd, and I returned my machined oil pump cover.
PM James "Turbocharged3800" for more in-detail. I took my timing set to him, and his friend's machine shop did the machining for me.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Mine is held on by zip ties and magic :dunno:

:rofl: That is funny, that is how it was on the GTP which did work though. I was just hoping to go with a more secure and better looking finish. The space it super tight though, might run the IC piping kind of behind the FMIC so it doesn't hang down so low. I am going to have to get rid of the latch support brace for sure though.

I am thinking about fabricating some custom brackets and then I could see if any of the 3800 stores would want to buy the design or at least trade me some parts or gaskets for the design. If all else, just get my FMIC to mount up nice.

BTW, would I need to take my block to a shop and get it machined or what would I need to take to a machine shop for the dbl roller? Could I leave in my single roller for now or would it be too risky?

i should just pull a quote from 10sec before he spends a few minutes typing about it... I went with waht james said about machining the gears AND used the double gasket method

mike will tell you otherwise!

:noes:

Handsome Jesus

A V6? What a ripoff...
TCG Premium
Jun 9, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
no need to take the block anywhere, just the gearset.

Do it once and do it right. The stock timing chain is probably stronger than the Single roller timing set. well I can pretty much guarantee it is. just look at the design of both of them (HYVO style teeth on stocker vs. single roller link chain) I bet you could look that up in a machinery's handbook and find the different strengths of each style of chain.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
thanks mano, that will be much easier.

The only problem I am running into is not having enough money right away vs my time right now. I had a string of 4 days off so I can get work done. I sat down and made a parts list today, about made me throw stuff seeing all the odds and ends shit I gotta buy. Big parts being the dbl roller and PLOGS, most of the other parts are all under 20 bucks a piece and are mostly gaskets. Either way the build will take a bit longer than planned given some upgrades I am going to make.

Update: All that is left to do is pull the axles and undbolt the power steering pump, then the motor and trans is ready to be pulled. My shoulders and arms are just killin me so I am takin a break until tonight. Tonight I am gonna pull everything out. The last pic is a bit blurry, but it gives you an idea of all the crap that is out of there.

This heater is my best friend. Keeps the garage about 50+ when it is below 30 out. I would highly highly recommend this heater to anyone with a one car garage.
IMG_0681.JPG

My nuts looks like pancakes, tight working space.
IMG_0684.JPG

Had to put the hood somewhere
IMG_0685.JPG

IMG_0686.JPG

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info