Few questions

ProjectGTP

Addict
Jan 24, 2011
My first question is if I can just take the balance shaft gear off and be done, or do I have to get the whole rotating assembly balanced.

Next question is whats the best timing. I have an xp cam and rollermaster timing set. The timing set has a bunch of spots to put it retard or advanced. I forgot how it was it when I pulled it off. Im an idiot I know.

Next is whats the best exhaust manifold gaskets to use. I have sd headers. Do I get the felpro ones or keep the stock metal ones. Last time they leaked bad with the ones it came with.

Thanks

Handsome Jesus

A V6? What a ripoff...
TCG Premium
Jun 9, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
I'll try to answer all of these right now.

Balance shaft - You can take the gear off and leave the shaft in there, I think this eliminates the issue of blocking off the oil passage to the shaft, though if you are shedding weight I think the balance shaft is like 8-10 lbs... look up some old posts on modifying the oil passage on the timing cover to delete the oil to the shaft.

I'd say set the timing to standard, no advance or retard. should be a little dot. ( i dont remember how to set up a rollmaster set) advancing the timing of the cam lowers the powerband in the RPM range, retarding moves the powerband up in the RPM range.

Best manifold gasket would probably be a good set of GMs with copper sealant on them. Felpros work ok as well. I always copper spray my shit to help it stay on when I am installing or whatever. kinda makes a mess, but it is nice to not have leaks to worry about.

Hope that helps. More will chime in.

-DD

ProjectGTP

Addict
Jan 24, 2011
Stock timing set on an L67 is 2 degrees advanced...stock chain on a L36 set is 0 IIRC. Unless you have a multi key timing set, you can only adjust it by swapping the gears between the two.

Yeah I have a rollermaster set and it has a few notches to where the crank key goes to set it advanced or retarded. Like I mentioned I took it off and forgot where it was before. I wasnt thinking when I did it.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
the crank keyway will be at about the 1-1:30 position as is the cam keyway iirc
IMG_0509.jpg

on the rm set the keyway will go into the keyway slot with the 0 and the dot/0 on the crank gear tooth will line up with the cam dot.

rm greatly improved their install instructions in the newest rm set ive installed even though they still havent fixed the machining for the US cranks

ProjectGTP

Addict
Jan 24, 2011
the crank keyway will be at about the 1-1:30 position as is the cam keyway iirc
IMG_0509.jpg

on the rm set the keyway will go into the keyway slot with the 0 and the dot/0 on the crank gear tooth will line up with the cam dot.

rm greatly improved their install instructions in the newest rm set ive installed even though they still havent fixed the machining for the US cranks

Ok thanks. Do u have a single chain or a double rm? I heard the singles are cheap and break easy, which is what I got.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
The stock single chain yes, RM or JP single chains are just fail. I would never run anything but an RM double roller or a GM factory single. Ever. I would run 130's on a gm single if i didn't care about my motor, but i'll bet if you replace the tensioner every 10,000miles it would hold up just fine. :dunno:

The stock single chain yes, RM or JP single chains are just fail. I would never run anything but an RM double roller or a GM factory single. Ever. I would run 130's on a gm single if i didn't care about my motor, but i'll bet if you replace the tensioner every 10,000miles it would hold up just fine. :dunno:

Ahh ok that's where I was mistaken... Noted for future reference lol.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
For sure, I remember someone posting up a picture of his JP single and the hell it gave to the tensioner after only 6k miles :rofl: it was soooo eaten up. He was thankful he misunderstood the recall being only the double rollers because he found that instead. He then went to a stock GM chain per everyone's suggestions. GM's factory stuff is pretty solid for the most part. Take that with a grain of salt though :rofl:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info