trying to decide on what to do for turbo build

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I currently have the s1x with 1.8rr. The heads I have on there are supposed to be clearanced for 650 lift. I just aquired a 54mm turbo with oversized IC kit. I am pulling the motor and trans here and figure it would be the best time to change anything if I nedeed to.

I have a couple of different ideas brewing but didn't know which would be the best. I figured there might be a couple more options, so toss those out too. This isn't my DD any more so pulling the motor down the road wouldn't be a big deal either.

1). Keep the current set up until I get a bigger turbo.

2). Get the st5 cam in and get a smaller RR. My current 1.8rr might be too much for that cam. I forgot the lift clearance formula to see what size rr I could run with the lift of the cam on my heads.

3). This is just a cheaper and easier upgreade option I guess. Get a stattama cam that will work with the 1.8rr and the clearance of the heads.

I am just not sure if there would be any difference once you already have a certain amount of lift? Thanks for the help

Handsome Jesus

A V6? What a ripoff...
TCG Premium
Jun 9, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
sooo you are running the S1x with 1.8rrs now and having no issues?

Run the S1x. I personally don't think there is a huge benefit to going through the swap process if you have something that is working. (MattM would tend to agree that blower cams are very effective on turbo cars based on a few e-mail exchanges)

I'd say get PRJ's weird cam if you are gonna do anything different using the 1.8rrs, though I know nothing about it.

at a certain point I wouldnt be surprised if you started having piston to valve clearance issues... heads aren't always the limiting factor.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
1. Don't change the cam, the s1x will get you pretty far, far enough to break many many other transmissions.
2. That setup will get you well over 400whp, even with the tiny turbo.
3. If you do change the cam, use stock rockers, quit wasting money on RR's, they have no benefits.
4. IF you upgrade the turbo, go with a T67, it'll get you further than you need to go.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Ohh, and you can even get rid of the 1.8RR's, get stock rockers and run that cam. Make a little extra $ back. You don't need all that lift for a turbo car. It's just a waste and hard on the springs for no reason.

I was thinking about getting rid of the 1.8rr as well as the ported heads. I guess I will leave the cam alone then. I def need a bigger turbo, what is the best company for a 67mm turbo?

Also, what type of exhaust manifolds should I use? Just get stock ones or should I use the extra money for plogs? The kit is the old zzp z7 kit, so it has their turbo crossover. The turbo itslef has no shaft play at all. Plus I get to sell the slp headers

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
I was thinking about getting rid of the 1.8rr as well as the ported heads. I guess I will leave the cam alone then. I def need a bigger turbo, what is the best company for a 67mm turbo?

Also, what type of exhaust manifolds should I use? Just get stock ones or should I use the extra money for plogs? The kit is the old zzp z7 kit, so it has their turbo crossover. The turbo itslef has no shaft play at all. Plus I get to sell the slp headers

Everyone is spot on... if you can afford it, get the T67 Stattama... 800 bucks but thats hundreds less than any others and its practically MADE for 3800s for both street and track

What exact kit did you buy btw?

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008

Ditch the heads for sure, make some more $ back on top of the RR's. However, if you're going that far, just pick up an ST5 and swap cams. If you keep the heads on, then keep the s1x.

For manifolds plogs are the way to go, but stock will get you pretty far. since you're saving so much $ not using some of your current stuff get plogs IMO.

Put the current turbo on, you'd be surprised what 400+whp will do. You might like the quick spool and power it can make. You could decide later to upgrade ya know?

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
The kit I have is from ladysluvdis. It is an old z7 kit. Tial wastegate and bov, oversized treadstone fmic, 54mm borg warner turbo, catless dp, l36intake conversion with hv3.

Yeah, I have to think how much I want to tare into it this summer. If things are running late, I might just slap the turbo kit on there and use it for the summer. Then change cams and turbos next winter. I really just want to hit 11s this summer.

I would like to use plogs, but I also wanted to wrap my exhaust and they say wrapping those will crack them. I guess it all depends on how much money I can save. I didn't realize that t67 was only 800, might be upgrading to that sooner than I though.

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
The new revised ones shouldn't crack, but if they're going to crack they'll do it whether they're wrapped or not wrapped. Doesn't matter. I would wrap them.

Your current kit paired with your current cam without the 1.8RR's will run 11's, this I can promise you. There's plenty of turbo there. Getting mid 11's or faster will definitely require a 6262 or T67 though, even with the same s1x cam. So IMO, bolt it on, put some stock rockers in place of the 1.8's, and go have some fun. Worry about changing stuff after you've already had a little fun with it and know exactly what you want. You'll be surprised how useless 400whp is on the street. AND, loose the 3.69's, you'll regret keeping them (not sure if you're changing or not) go with 2.93's.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Yeah, I think your right about bolting it up and running it. Good to know about the new plogs, that was my biggest hangup. The new trans I am putting in has the 3.29s at least instead of the current 3.69. When I get the bigger turbo and cam I will change them seeing that I will prolly need a new trans by then.

Are manual boost controllers enough for our cars or do people run electronic ones? Thanks for the help guys

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
Yeah, I think your right about bolting it up and running it. Good to know about the new plogs, that was my biggest hangup. The new trans I am putting in has the 3.29s at least instead of the current 3.69. When I get the bigger turbo and cam I will change them seeing that I will prolly need a new trans by then.

Are manual boost controllers enough for our cars or do people run electronic ones? Thanks for the help guys

What chain is the in the trans now? You'll want a 7/8ths and if you dont have a 7/8ths go with a 2.93 one... i would say switch to a 2.93 to start if the trans is out of the car, but if the 3.29 chain is already a 7/8ths dont worry about it, too much hassle

I'm running a manual controller, but will probably upgrade as my car gets more dialed in so I can have multiple settings for gears and the like

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
To add to HK, the 7/8's chains in 2.93 gear hold up better than the 3.29's and the 3.69's, so there's no reason to get anything but a 2.93 gear. You'll regret the 3.29's too man, i promise you that. I've been there, i speak from experience, same with HK, he has no choice but to run 3.29's (sucker) but his car is slow so he doesn't have traction problems. :mamoru:

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
The chain in the broke trans in 7/8 3.69s. The one in the new trans I have is 7/8 3.29s. So yeah, you are right on not messin with it. I am sure something will break before next winter. That will be my chance to get the lower gears.

I think I might start manual too until I upgrade other things down the road. The price is right on the manual ones too.

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
Ditch the heads for sure, make some more $ back on top of the RR's. However, if you're going that far, just pick up an ST5 and swap cams. If you keep the heads on, then keep the s1x.

For manifolds plogs are the way to go, but stock will get you pretty far. since you're saving so much $ not using some of your current stuff get plogs IMO.

Put the current turbo on, you'd be surprised what 400+whp will do. You might like the quick spool and power it can make. You could decide later to upgrade ya know?

he wont be to surprised. he watched it walk all over his wrx and put 2 cars on a pullied cobra.

i have stock rockers you can have andy. along with the spare wheels we were talking about.

you already know my opinion...upgrade to a 62 and call it a day. here is what he currently has:

Borg Warner center section
54mm compressor wheel
stage 4 exhaust wheel
.63 AR T3 exhaust housing
5 bolt exhaust outlet

go with a MBC. no need for electric. just buy a better one then my cheap ass one. lol

give me a call/text sometime bud

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
haha...walked right into it.

Thanks for the help guys. I have never done rocker work before. Is it too hard to change them out? I am a shade tree mechanic, but do understand more technical aspects. I know I would need a couple tools and new pushrods, but what else would I need? And, is there a write-up or anyone want to list out the things I would need to do? Should I leave in my 130lb springs?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info