you've got to be shitting me

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I don't know how much of a hand Ed has in actually pricing stuff any more and this is the trouble with having non-business minded people pricing your stuff in your absence. They don't have the forethought to monitor market price of a particular product and adjust their price accordingly so you end up alienating your customers.

I just sent Ed a message for shits and giggles. It's entirely possible that he's got no clue the stuff is overpriced. I don't sell engines so I haven't done any research into what's fair or not but just by pricing out ebay listings by cost, he does appear to be on the higher side across the board.

Theautoguy

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2007
Machesney Park, IL
I'm willing to bet its still $500 cheaper than going to a typical yard for a complete motor.

We are all accustomed to the deals we get from networking within the community but when was the last time you heard the pricing that goes out to those not "in"? I bet Ed would take much less from someone he's delt with before and/or knows from the boards.

Further, Mike is probably right, Ed may not be pricing all of this stuff.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I'm willing to bet its still $500 cheaper than going to a typical yard for a complete motor.

We are all accustomed to the deals we get from networking within the community but when was the last time you heard the pricing that goes out to those not "in"? I bet Ed would take much less from someone he's delt with before and/or knows from the boards.

Further, Mike is probably right, Ed may not be pricing all of this stuff.

A local yard my dad buys from has a 02 complete L67 with 72K. Asking $1100 according to carpart.com. They also have a 26K mile complete L26 for $900.

I just bought something from them and paid half of what they were asking online. :s00ls:

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Let me explain things from a different perspective, that of someone in business.

Ed is in business to make money. He's not stupid. He knows what stuff sells for and if it doesn't sell for a specific price he adjusts the price accordingly until it does sell.

With respect to forums, people are generally very finicky and willing to pay the least amount for any given item. With respect to the Grand Prix/ 3800 community specifically, people are very fickle and will toss a vendor under the bus to save a buck so unless you're giving things away, there's a large percentage of people in this community that will talk shit about you. So there's really no word of mouth gain by keeping things cheap either.

I sell professional cameras as my other business. I sell my cameras for several hundred more than my competitors but have established feedback, great customer service and a warranty I stand behind. Because of that, I can get hundreds more for the same stuff other people are selling. I'm sure there's people on some forum somewhere talking about how much crack I'm smoking for asking what I'm asking but at the end of the day, my cameras sell for what I ask for them so why would I sell them for the same price as the rest of the guys?

Same thing goes with Morad. He prices stuff at a price it will sell for. Because of his reputation that might be more. Is it worth pricing the 3800 stuff lower to stay loyal? No. Why? Because the majority of the 3800 community is about as non-loyal as you can be.

Explanation? Blame Nappy for letting the environment at CGP get as bad as it's gotten. That's the foundation. For the remainder of the explanation look up the definition of the term "mob rule".

Also, for anyone that might construe this as me dis-liking the 3800 community, that's not the case. I love a few on Clug GP, for the most part like the guys here and love people that haven't gotten sucked into all the crap on the forums. It's the people that incessantly talk trash about me and then are the first in line for the black Friday specials that get under my skin and unfortunately, there are more of those type of people in this community than in any other I've been a participant in.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Let me explain things from a different perspective, that of someone in business.

Ed is in business to make money. He's not stupid. He knows what stuff sells for and if it doesn't sell for a specific price he adjusts the price accordingly until it does sell.

With respect to forums, people are generally very finicky and willing to pay the least amount. With respect to the Grand Prix/ 3800 community specifically, people are very fickle and will toss a vendor under the bus to save a buck so unless you're giving things away, there's a large percentage of people in this community that will talk shit about you. So there's really no word of mouth gain by keeping things cheap either.

I sell professional cameras as my other business. I sell my cameras for several hundred more than my competitors but have established feedback, great customer service and a warranty I stand behind. Because of that, I can get hundreds more for the same stuff other people are selling. I'm sure there's people on some forum somewhere talking about how much crack I'm smoking for asking what I'm asking but at the end of the day, my cameras sell for what I ask for them so why would I sell them for the same price as the rest of the guys?

Same thing goes with Morad. He prices stuff at a price it will sell for. Because of his reputation that might be more. Is it worth pricing the 3800 stuff lower to stay loyal? No. Why? Because the majority of the 3800 community is about as non-loyal as you can be.

Explanation? Blame Nappy for letting the environment at CGP for getting as bad as it's gotten. That's the foundation. For the remainder of the explanation look up the definition of the term "mob rule".

Also, for anyone that might construe this as me dis-liking the 3800 community, that's not the case. I love a few on Clug GP, for the most part like the guys here and love people that haven't gotten sucked into all the crap on the forums. It's the people that incessantly talk trash about me and then are the first in line for the black Friday specials that get under my skin and unfortunately, there are more of those type of people in this community than in any other I've been a participant in.

/thread

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info