Replace your coolant elbows...

After the pain in the ass I went through yesterday I suggest everyone do this so they don't have to go through the same thing. When I hopped on 88 yesterday all of a sudden lose my heat and see white smoke behind me and thought it was coming from my exhaust. Pulled over a little ways up and it's coming from under my hood. Got to a parking lot, called a towing company and checked out the situation. Saw coolant pissing everywhere but couldn't tell where from (it was early, and cold).
$100 later, I get it towed to my friends shop so I can look at it and come to find that the coolant elbow going from the LIM to the tensioner decided to explode. Run to advance, $2.50 for BOTH coolant elbows :rollpicard: Plus another 20 or so for a new belt since mine was soaked in coolant. Seriously if none of you have replaced these do it now so the same doesn't happen to you and you have to waste money on a tow for a couple bucks in parts. Just take off the alternator and tensioner, pop in the new elbows and you're done. Especially if you run dexcool cause I know that has to be the main cause of this since I ran dexcool so long before switching to green. Yesterday was a fun day.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Good luck with those cheap elbows. I've always heard bad things.

Also another word of advice if you've got a semi-reliable car. Gets AAA plus. It's less then $100 a year and you get I think 3 tows now up to 100 miles each trip. Well worth it if something like this happens.

Also another word of advice if you've got a semi-reliable car. Gets AAA plus. It's less then $100 a year and you get I think 3 tows now up to 100 miles each trip. Well worth it if something like this happens.

They are made by Dorman's Help division. According to my friend who has worked at his dad's repair shop since before he could drive that division makes pretty reliable parts. Still not as good as OEM but good quality aftermarket replacements.

I think I have a few Dorman parts on the GP but I can't remember. I buy most of my parts from Advance, if not all. I don't buy the cheapest ones but I don't buy the pricey shit either and the only things that ever fails on me from there is thermostats. It's not worth buying OEM anything for this car. It's just a Pontiac and it gets by fine on aftermarket parts :dunno:

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL

Last I had AAA it was free tow for 5mi and then a discounted rate past that. Considering renewing cuz we have a few road trips planned for this year. :D

I got nuttin to say about elbows now. Pretty sure I put Autozone or Advance elbows in the GTP when KJ did the LIM gaskets w/me. No issues after 15k. :dunno:

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Dorman is usually always the cheapest for mounts/suspension parts. I always buy Moog when it comes to stuff like that if the option is available.

Yea it was either dorman or ford. I have to return that shit. Maybe I got a bad one?

Eagle - sounds like you had the basic setup. It was $100 a year for my wife and I for the premium RV membership. 100 miles up to 3 times a year for each of us.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
fyi when you buy em from the dealer, your just paying dealer prices for the doorman units
a couple years back grossinger gave me one and pulled it out of the package right there in front of me....a ford dealer gave us a "genuine ford" alternator for the van that had the murray's/oreally's ultima sticker on it....yay 250$ for a 130$ alternator

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
the early horizontal bolt alternator/alternator bracket/acc belt tensioner assembly has the lower elbow that goes intot he timing cover integral to the aluminum casting, the 99+ verticle bolt alternator mounting bracket uses a plastic upper and lower

aka 95-98 uses only one plastic elbow with 7/8ths at both ends from the LIM to alternator bracket
the 99-08 uses two plastic elbows 7/8ths at both ends and a 7/8ths and 1inch from the bracket to the timing cover

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info