I need a new alternator

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
Yeah I know, basic shit, but before I run out to napa and pick one up I wanted to post here. I talked with James (turbocharged400c) and he told me about a 98 riviera alternator bracket/tensioner assembly and a 140 amp alternator.

He hasn't gotten back to me but is the end result something like this?
3800SCbeltrouting-1.jpg

This is from here: http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/109934.html
oh and shit i just realized that this a web site fieros... not sure if there the same 3800.

Anyway, what do you suggest I do? I do have a sub in the trunk, but I rarely use it. Nothing fancy eaither. Should I go with a high amp alternator or just go to napa and get an alternator and call it a day?

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
most ive gotten out of a 105amp at idle is 45 amps, headlights, foglights, heater blower, rear defogger along with the engine/FP running....means at idle your draining your battery...not charging it, going to a 125 amp would give you prob another 10amps at idle so at least youd be charging the battery just a little at idle. the 140 would give even more of a cushion.
the 140 amp is for the more power hungry riviera's, park ave's and bonnies with heated seats, etc.
a cap just evens out the current draw at the amp power system...the headlights still tend to dim/flicker greatly unless you have an alternator that puts out more power at idle than the car is using
plus the earlier bracket means you can pull the rear vc without farting with the bracket and since he's getting up there in miles he's prob gonna need that acc belt tensioner replaced soon.

regardless it's an option thats marginally more expensive than just replacing what he has now especially if the tensioner is worn out and leaning.

wiringalmostdone1.jpg

beltwrapandpolishedstainless.jpg

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
For what you have I'd say stock.
Don't mean to threadjack, but my cap doesn't do shit so what is this talk about a 140 amp alt from a riviera? Because thats ******s me.

you just need the earlier horizontal bolt 96-98 alternator bracket/acc belt tensioner assembly with the 140 amp alternator (only available as the horizontal bolt system) from a 98/99 riv/bonnie/park ave.

it also has an honest to goodness fan to cool it than a damned little pinwheel like the 105 and 125am hd alternators.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
yeah but those internal fan units love to get hot as hell i doubt the bearings would last long...but for a hardcore audio system that should work fine as long as the system isnt at max power for extended periods

its 152$ for a 100%new lifetime warr DLgold 98 riv alternator fron autozone and 69$ for the earlier alternator bracket/acc belt tensioner

for a setup that will handle what most people have as long as they arent pushing a 1000watt+ RMS amp

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
im partially deaf from having 1600watts rms just for the subs in my old 92 imperial...those aftermarket high output alternators work great but run hot as hell and they still dont last that long :rofl:

thankfully i wised up and sold all the amps and subs so i could buy my snapon toolbox and focus on my career

i tell ya what them old RF punch power 12's really hit hard when you have 4 of em, even with 300lbs of dynamat trim pieces were breaking/falling off that damn thing alll the time....sucks RF sold out

i was pretty happy with the single 15" kicker at 200W rms, i "downgraded" to, my ears thank me to this day.

i built a nice system for another friend of mine and he ended up having a seizure while we were tuning it in a jewel osco parking lot.
i pretty much quite the game after that, though i still have my old alpine v12 amps/DSP/parametric eq setups...i wish i hadn't of sold the MB quart stuff...

going fast > going deaf

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
cant a starter alternator repair shop tweek them up when rebuilding them, I had 3 amps total of 1600w rms in my regal when I had it that ran fine with a cap and optima red top, if I was idleing it would drop the juice way down but they let you rev your car to 2k at the db drags so it was all good

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info