headers

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Ok so I have some crappy Pacesetters on the car right now and they are ugly, fit like shit, falling apart, leak, ect. These were one of the very first sets of Pacesetters that WBS sold many years ago so they had a good run and it is time to replace them. I want something coated, I dont have to modify to get to fit, and they are not gonna leak. What is the word on the street about headers now? Whats good and whats crap? I am kind of ******d buy these cheap ebay headers... but they are cheap and you get what you pay for.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
if ure considering going turbo..why even bother getting new ones.

but to stay on topic, i dont have any advice. the daytona came w/ togs so i dunno whats even "in" these days. zzp sells headers but those are 700 bones :eek3:

wasnt mike talking about wbs coming out w/ headers?

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Don't beat me up over it, but I still like the s&S headers...small primaries and all. They are sooooo easy to install and made right. After that I like the TOGS if you can find any.

I wish I could say something about the ZZP headers, but I've never seen a set in-person...everybody goes cheap and buys the crappy pacesetters around here.

KagA152

Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Columbus, IN
all from personal experience, pacesetters are junk, i cant say im a fan of togs, the crossover is a pita. and how much im not a fan of zzp, theyre headers are very nice. the crossover is my favorite part. good quality stainless. been on the car for over 30k miles and two winters and they look great. i got them as part of the black friday sale a couple years ago, saved quite a few pennies

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
I've got the $150 Ebay pacesetter knock-offs headers... they have been on the car for 2.5+ years, and are still good, there was quite a bit of modification to get them to fit, but for the price, I can burn though 2 -3 sets before getting to the cost of even a set of normal crap pacesetters, which would require modification and welding to get in as well

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Don't beat me up over it, but I still like the s&S headers...small primaries and all. They are sooooo easy to install and made right. After that I like the TOGS if you can find any.

I wish I could say something about the ZZP headers, but I've never seen a set in-person...everybody goes cheap and buys the crappy pacesetters around here.

Never seen a set of ZZPs either. :dunno:

I did help James (cammed GT guy) remove his S&S and they were pretty nice I thought.

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
all from personal experience, pacesetters are junk, i cant say im a fan of togs, the crossover is a pita. and how much im not a fan of zzp, theyre headers are very nice. the crossover is my favorite part. good quality stainless. been on the car for over 30k miles and two winters and they look great. i got them as part of the black friday sale a couple years ago, saved quite a few pennies

You are a fan of ZZP headers? Can you post some pics of them installed on your car? Also how close is the front header to the fans?

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
i hated installing edsel's PS knockoff ebay's i had to grind away a good bit of the trans case lol i havent tried the ebay slp slip fit units but if they are close to slp's they wont clear the 80e

let me get those old PS pices of shit fer free :s00ls:

I am sure we can work something out

turtleman

Addict
Sep 6, 2009
Villa Park, IL
Real Name
covid
I'm right at about 2 years with the ssautochrome/XSpower (SLP knock-off) headers. I have really nothing bad to say about them. I didn't need to modify them at all. They have a ticky flex joint but so do the real SLP's. I wrapped the flex joint with header wrap and then coated it with copper RTV before I installed them and it works great. There's no noise and as far as I can tell no upkeep necessary.

ZZP headers are beautiful but why don't they offer them coated?

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
I'm right at about 2 years with the ssautochrome/XSpower (SLP knock-off) headers. I have really nothing bad to say about them. I didn't need to modify them at all. They have a ticky flex joint but so do the real SLP's. I wrapped the flex joint with header wrap and then coated it with copper RTV before I installed them and it works great. There's no noise and as far as I can tell no upkeep necessary.

ZZP headers are beautiful but why don't they offer them coated?

Basically, because they are stainless. Coating doesn't adhere as well to them (so many coaters won't warranty it), and only coated on the outside keeps the heat in the metal leading to fatigue...since stainless is more brittle already it can lead to cracking from heat cycling.

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Basically, because they are stainless. Coating doesn't adhere as well to them (so many coaters won't warranty it), and only coated on the outside keeps the heat in the metal leading to fatigue...since stainless is more brittle already it can lead to cracking from heat cycling.

I kind of wonder if the header wrap if leading to fatigue on my current set of Pacesetters. I had to weld the #3 primary because it had a hole, not a rust hole, but it looks like the metal just split.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
I kind of wonder if the header wrap if leading to fatigue on my current set of Pacesetters. I had to weld the #3 primary because it had a hole, not a rust hole, but it looks like the metal just split.

Pretty much. Header manufactuers don't reccomend header wrap for a reason. Headers are pretty much disposable, stainless extends their life...but heatcycling over several years just takes it's toll no matter what. It's a miricle if mild steel headers last more than 5 years.

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Pretty much. Header manufactuers don't reccomend header wrap for a reason. Headers are pretty much disposable, stainless extends their life...but heatcycling over several years just takes it's toll no matter what. It's a miricle if mild steel headers last more than 5 years.

I think these are 4 years old or so:dunno:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info