AjL227

Do You Even?
Feb 19, 2008
AjL227's XP, S2 IC, 2.8", LQ4 MAF, 80#/hr, E85 CompG build

UPDATE 9/21/11: WHATS NEXT? UPCOMING
th_king-evil.gif

SKIP AHEAD TO THIS THREAD FOR NEW POSTS

>>>NEW UPCOMING PLANS<<<

This thread is directed to my 2004 GP GTP CompG and it's modifications.

I got this car with 7,xxx miles on the odometer, in February of 2007. It was all stock with Enkei 10 spoke alloy wheels.
To this day, it has 68,xxx miles. This car is daily driven.

-HPTuners Pro VCM suite
-DHP
-Comp Cam's X-P hot camshaft (212,224/.325.335/116LSA)
-Rollmaster double roller timing set (properly machined)
-105# valve springs
-qwik port stock heads (casting #8)
-ARP head studs
-Cometic MLS .052" head gaskets
-ZZP MPS 3.0"
-ZZP 2.25" aluminum A2W intercooler system w/ silicone hoses & bosch pump (100% resealed/leak free)
-ZZP billet fuel logs
-Mototron 80#/hr (800cc) injectors
-E85 (summer) / 93 octane (winter)
-Poly upper engine mounts
-ZZP billet aluminum upper engine supports
-Poly lower engine mount
-Poly transaxle mount
-ZZP stainless headers
-ZZP 3" 304SS downpipe
-ZZP 3" 304SS catback exhaust
-30" 304SS Magnaflow resonator
-KYB GR-2 gas shocks
-SSC lowering springs w/ anti-pogo washers
-GXP brakes
-Xenon HIDs 10,000k
-Aeroforce scan gauge
-AEM vac/boost
-AEM wideband o2
-AEM fuel pressure

Progress:

In-car tear down
Engine is out
Cam install
Block, heads and timing set

Valvetrain, front cover and intake
Money shots
Engine is in, and buttoned up
Nightime idle
Daytime idle
Gas shocks, lowering springs & GXP brakes
85mm LQ4 MAF & Mototron 80#/hr injectors
ZZP I/C overhaul...new core, plates resealed, new hoses
3.0" pulley IDLE VIDEO
12 second pass, 110+ MPH @ GREAT LAKES DRAGWAY
NEW UPCOMING PLANS

Last edited:

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Great list, couple things I would like to suggest you consider adding/changing/upgrading...

1. With the inconsistency and problems the 105# springs have, i would suggest you either go with 90# springs or 130's, i personally did 130's with that cam.
2. Modded retainers, or titanium retainers if you can get your hands on some.
3. it's not "bad" to get cometic gaskets, but they're a little over kill for the mods. You would be perfectly set on GM gaskets. But it's your build so if you want to spend the $ for the extra security then by all means, go ahead.

In for vids when it's done. kthx. :bigthumb:

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
x2 dont get comp springs, comp no longer has them manufactured by PAC spring, Al's 04 has 30k on the Crow cams 105 lbers their surface finish is much better than the newer comp shit. 130's at 1.8 installed height (LSx retainer) is a bit closer to a 115-120lb seat presssure

This guy is our personal 3800 engine building pro. :nutz:

Handsome Jesus

A V6? What a ripoff...
TCG Premium
Jun 9, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
I'd suggest bigger than 42# injectors for piece of mind. the price difference between 60# and 42# is worth it.

Looks good! I'd also recommend against the cometics. GM gaskets.

Talk to james (^^^) about having the double roller modified for higher reliability.

I personally feel that Upgrading the TB made the car much more fun to drive. just something to think about.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
For that build, a 2.7 would work well...with a race tune a 2.55 easy. I did a tune on an '04 XP cam, S&S headers, really crappy HAI...non-IC'd 3.0 pulley. IIRC 19 degrees advance it ran fine. It dyno'd 300, then ZZP dumped in race gas and upped the timing to 317HP when they dyno tuned it a few weeks later. Those aren't bad #'s...and that car was a total beat piece of crap.

IC's are magic...should be a nice combo.

AjL227

Do You Even?
Feb 19, 2008
Update. First, I'd like to say thank you for all of your feedback and opinions. If it weren't for you guys, I would have no guidance...some of you more mature than others *facepalm* Either way, keep it up. I'd like this thread to stay active weekly up until and during the build, I'll have a good number of pics along the way.

I'm starting to think I may just go with OEM or felpro head gaskets, since now that I think about it, it really is useless unless the heads aren't 100% stock. Plus, I'm nowhere near pro level of tuning, so if I can avoid having to tune around the extra compression on a 2.8", I'm going to do it. I'd like to have decent advance. This engine will most likely never see Ethanol; at least while it is in the GP, so 42.5's are perfect. Also, I'm leaning towards stock McPherson struts, rather than the GR2's after what I've heard about them going out prematurely on lowered cars. I don't plan on changing my TB, either. My DBW has enough velocity at 75mm for this build, and I don't notice much, if any, actuation lag. Any more input, guys? Discuss.
th_biggrin2.gif

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Plus, I'm nowhere near pro level of tuning, so if I can avoid having to tune around the extra compression on a 2.8", I'm going to do it. I'd like to have decent advance.

Good for you man, this is how people entering builds like this are supposed to do it. Start safe and slowly work your way down to pushing the limits.

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Measuring the gears and basically see "how far" they stick out away from the motor. James claims he saw .030 difference and milled down the back of the cam gear (i think?) to make them line up with each other. My RM is pretty much perfect, even on my new motor it's still within .008, which is perfect IMO. Maybe they got their hands on bad batch? Not sure. James has done way more motors than I have so my opinion might me moot, however i think it's a useless step.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info