Difficulty of Tranny Replacement

Doctor

I Bring NOTHING To The Table.....
Apr 15, 2009
Borefield
Guys-

Just blew out my trans ('02 gtp). I have reverse; the only forward I have is idle or it will give me a big thud as I try to accelerate in 1st.

Trans shops are quoting $1200+ and I'm sure a used tranny will work instead of a complete rebuild. As I've never worked on a transaxle, how difficult and time consuming would you consider this job?

I appreciate/encourage any and all insight.

Thanks

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
Ive been in your shoes. $1200 even before taxes is a deal in my opinion for a rebuilt tranny. I was searching all over for a used tranny and I couldnt find any that I felt comfortable putting in my car.

Its up to you but I chose to rebuild it. I got a deal through a buddy of mine for $1400 rebuilt. It was done in a few days. Depends on your goals and appreciation for the car I suppose.

Doctor

Apr 15, 2009
Borefield
Ive been in your shoes. $1200 even before taxes is a deal in my opinion for a rebuilt tranny. I was searching all over for a used tranny and I couldnt find any that I felt comfortable putting in my car.

Its up to you but I chose to rebuild it. I got a deal through a buddy of mine for $1400 rebuilt. It was done in a few days. Depends on your goals and appreciation for the car I suppose.

I definitely appreciate the car, especially since it's paid for and has been for 2 years. The car is still in nice condition since my wife and I have taken decent care of it since we bought it new in '02.

My biggest challenge is knowing there's 162k miles on it.....

SuperDaveGSE

Hole Enlarger
May 14, 2009
Antioch,Il
I would just go with a rebuild, with a junk yard trans you take the chance with that one not lasting very long. Plus your going to spend a couple hundred for that unknown trans. With a rebuild you know its a fully functional trans and would have a warranty. I had mine done last year total cost was around $1300 with a 2yr warranty, reason I went with the rebuild instead of a junk yard trans is I have a kid. I wouldn't feel comfortable driving my kid around not knowing if my trans was going to take a shit again.

Doctor

Apr 15, 2009
Borefield
I would just go with a rebuild, with a junk yard trans you take the chance with that one not lasting very long. Plus your going to spend a couple hundred for that unknown trans. With a rebuild you know its a fully functional trans and would have a warranty. I had mine done last year total cost was around $1300 with a 2yr warranty, reason I went with the rebuild instead of a junk yard trans is I have a kid. I wouldn't feel comfortable driving my kid around not knowing if my trans was going to take a shit again.

I hear you; have my first born due in february. Just not too comfortable spending up to 50% the value of the car on repairs. Remember, it's already got 162K miles!

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
some junkyards offer additional warranty time for a good used trans.

Al's 04 just got a good used 65k trans from elgin super, 450$ out the door and i think they wanted an additional 50-100$ for a 1year instead of the usual 30/60day.

thing to remember is to inspect that shit, and make sure you tell em NOT to pressure/steam wash it, first trans those fuckers gave us had coffee instead of red atf and water was inside the converter/pump/etc

they just shoved some plastic inside and blasted it all with a washer. bring a white cup and dump the converter out into it, look for clitter glitter (they drain the trans so youll likely not find anything on the dipstick)

they had given Al a "deal" for his trans over the phone...most likely since they thought they could unload the pos on us...i nixed that fuckin shit...we had already paid so we got a 65k trans after a bit of bitching...if you can look at the screen and memorize the last 4-6 of their stock number so you can compare it to the tag on the trans

SuperDaveGSE

Hole Enlarger
May 14, 2009
Antioch,Il
I hear you; have my first born due in february. Just not too comfortable spending up to 50% the value of the car on repairs. Remember, it's already got 162K miles!

Mine had a lil more then 150k when I brought it in, going with a trans from a wrecking yard where they "Inspect n remove" the trans is ok but like Turbo said make sure you inspect the hell out of it before you except it. Another thing about a JY trans is its USED I'd rather spend the extra coin for a fresh trans then going with a low mile used trans, that's so many miles I'd lose just to save a buck. You figure a good low mile trans from where ever will set you back at least $500, to install it another $400 or so and you still have to change the filter and refill it with fluid another $50-70 on a "Used" trans. for the extra $ you get a good warranty and the peace of mind knowing its fresh and not used and might go out in the very near future. I'm just sezzin.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I guess if you're paying somebody to do it and the car is staying stock then getting a stock rebuild is probably best. If you've got the knowledge to swap one out I'd rather spend $300-400 and pop in a used one. If you're going to mod it then I'd spend just a bit more and call up Dave.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info