Trans/Coolant Issues

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
Lately when I get on it from a roll the trans stalls and vibrates a little bit before it goes, guess that's what happens eventually when you go blown on a stock GT trans. Planning my winter build, guess I have to include a tranny now. Would rebuilding mine or just buying a TEP be cheaper? Or I could just keep tossing junkyard trannys in there and blowing them. Also my low coolant light has been flashing on and off for a couple few weeks, thought it was just a fluke becasue it goes off so fast, but last night I checked the coolant, looks like I've been driving with NO coolant at all for about a month :ugh:.

L36 SS

Addict
Jul 11, 2008
Wheaton, IL
What happened? Yeah fastkatt's been doing my tuning since the topswap, did a great job every time on my car.

Well drove out there to get a pulley and injectors installed, and then for him to tune it. But the car wouldn't pull past 3k and after an hour and half ride home, took it to one of the well known tuners on the site and found out that he didn't calibrate the injectors right and it was drowning in fuel. Last time i'll be going there!

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
NO coolant at all in the overflow OR radiator, bone dry all around. Been driving like that for about a month. Every once in awhile it would heat up for a second, but then it would drop back down if I let off the gas for a second. And yeah kevin, definatly feels like a trans thing :wtc:.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Probably enough gurgling in the block to expand once it's hot.

Great way to toast the block, heads, and trans.

How do people not realize that motor failure is nearly 100% preventable with BASIC maintainance on a 3800?

Heat destrys everything. Put some damn coolant in.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
your cooling system was at the least half full, you were basically airlocking the T stat so it couldnt open

coolant doesnt just disappear, it leaks externally (easy to find) it leaks internally in the motor (dep on volume its virtually unoticable) or it leaks internally in the radiator trans cooler assembly (trans fluid would look milky) or your heater core is fucked and its currrently draining onto/under the passenger carpet

mr.gto

Deleted New Name
Jul 27, 2009
I can take a pic before I fill it, radiator is bone dry. I think I found the leak though. And no I haven't been knowing driving it without coolant, best buy fucked my electrical shit up not long after I posted this so the cars been parked :fu:.

do u quite possible mean u just cant see any coolant inside the radiator? or did u pull the petcock and nothing came out or a lower hose and nothing came out period.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info