Bought a 97 GTP have a couple questions if you don't mind. :)

Bones

Don't call me late for dinner!!!
Dec 29, 2009
Nw Burbs
Well I'm stoked. Finally got a DD so the Camaro SS can go into hibernation. It's a 97 GTP has a 120K on it but is in EXCELLENT condition. Bought the car from an old fart who pampered it and garaged it. Once I clean it up tomorrow I'll post up pics.

I have a couple of questions. I want to do maintenance on it tomorrow...

What are the best plugs for this car? I was thinking of buying Delco Iridiums. What's the gapping size btw? I'll check on a couple forums but I figured I'd ask here.

Also I checked around is 100ftlbs the correct torque spec for the wheel lug nuts? I want to take them off and torque them myself so I know they're correct.

Thanks. Any other maintenance tips you have for me for a S/C 3800 please feel free to share your wisdom. :)

DarkShadow

o.O
TCG Premium
Aug 1, 2007
Berkeley, IL
The most popular plug is the NGK V-Power TR55. Stock gap is .060, if you pulley down, its in the .055-.052 range

The torque spec for the lugs is indeed 100 lb/ft

At 120k, change all the fluids, the dex-cool should be mighty shitty at that mileage by now.

If it still has the black plastic intake manifold gaskets, change them to the newer aluminum ones from GM. better to prevent a failure then try to fix it after.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I would have stayed away from a 97...

Ohh, ohh, I get to use a Panda line.

[panda]Why? Cause you have owned a 97 and know their issues right? Stop talking out of your ass.[/panda]

97s CAN be querky when you start fucking with them. I wouldnt worry too much over that though.

FWIW, I like autolite plugs better. :dunno: Id go 605s if you plan to stay on stock pulley.

Yes, 100 ft/lbs for the lugs.

Otherwise, everyone else touched on basic maintenance.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
'97s are different than other models, but as long as you don't mod the crap out of it you won't notice the difference.

The main issue with 97s is the input shaft on the trans is much weaker than later versions. A little less compatable than other years for parts, but that's about it.

Stay away from platinum tips on plugs for SC'd motors, the tips stat hot, and cause pre-ignition. Yes, it was OE to have platinum...but standard plugs work better.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Ohh, ohh, I get to use a Panda line.

[panda]Why? Cause you have owned a 97 and know their issues right? Stop talking out of your ass.[/panda]

97s CAN be querky when you start fucking with them. I wouldnt worry too much over that though.

FWIW, I like autolite plugs better. :dunno: Id go 605s if you plan to stay on stock pulley.

Yes, 100 ft/lbs for the lugs.

Otherwise, everyone else touched on basic maintenance.

Id stay away from them just because of the issues I had trying to tune the things. Not even going to get into other reasons, no personal experience.

Bones

Dec 29, 2009
Nw Burbs
Well I'm not going to mod the car, it's my daily driver and I have the Camaro SS for that. I will definitely change all of the fluids including the S/C oil, I didn't think of that. This is the first sc'd car I've actually owned. The transmission is almost brand new in still, and I have paper work to prove it. He spent 2200 bucks on a new trans just this last year.

Thanks so much for the information guys, thanks for confirming the plug gap size and torque specs as well. :)

Well I'm off to do a lot of maintenance.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
The most popular plug is the NGK V-Power TR55. Stock gap is .060, if you pulley down, its in the .055-.052 range

The torque spec for the lugs is indeed 100 lb/ft

At 120k, change all the fluids, the dex-cool should be mighty shitty at that mileage by now.

If it still has the black plastic intake manifold gaskets, change them to the newer aluminum ones from GM. better to prevent a failure then try to fix it after.

I don't even gap .060 on stock. It seems to be OK for 2-3 months, then starts to misfire at WOT. I don't reccomend anything bigger than .056-.058 even on a stock car.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
:rofl: You sit there and bag on people for "experience" and when you get called out its :nutz: You are funny little man, little man. :nutz:

I'm swingin he had a 97 for 5+ years with no problems man... Although this is kinda funny coming from a guy with a broken car.

Where did I stay 97 had problems anyway? Hell id just stay away from them because of the differences. One might argue the differences are problems though.

my97gtp

Addict
Oct 5, 2008
Columbus Indiana
Real Name
Jay
I'm swingin he had a 97 for 5+ years with no problems man... Although this is kinda funny coming from a guy with a broken car.

Where did I stay 97 had problems anyway? Hell id just stay away from them because of the differences. One might argue the differences are problems though.

Its broken but has nothing to do with being a 97.

Bones

Dec 29, 2009
Nw Burbs
Well alright alright, I didn't start the thread to start a heated debate, also don't want it to be closed because I still might have some questions LOL.

Already did the S/C oil and all the fluids today. Good to go. Got some pics up/just phone pics...

gtp.jpg

gtp3.jpg

gtp2.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info