P0304 Cyinder 4 Misfire

Frank Dukes

TCG Elite Member
May 5, 2009
Rockfordia
yeah, checked that last night. switching around coil packs and injectors wouldnt really help me nail down the problem cuz i haz no scanner.

for whatever reason, yesterday when it misfired the light stayed on so i went to advance and got the cyl. 4 code in there twice. hoping just swapping the coil and injector out for the ones im gettin from phat ride will help. we shall see.

Frank Dukes

TCG Elite Member
May 5, 2009
Rockfordia
welp, not the coil. on to the injector.

I have read that a clogged cat can cause a misfire... how would this present itself? It does kinda seem like there is backpressure that can not escape from the engine when i goose it. it bogs down and studders like it cant breath... but that would cause a random misfire not the p0304 i believe. :picard:

going to try the soapy water trick after dark.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
well iff it is gone youll be pumping high pressure air into the crankcase (pull vc cap and cover with palm to check for vac and pressure pulses), or an adjacent cylinder (aka you have 304 and 306 or 302 misfire codes as well but you dont), or it blew out externally which would be pretty damn loud.

swap the #4 wire with another and see if the miss moves to the new cylinder what did the #4 plug look like?

so what exactly have you done diagnostics wise? you have kinda jumped around in your guesses bud

Frank Dukes

TCG Elite Member
May 5, 2009
Rockfordia
well... i changed coils, swapped wires, did the soapy water trick...

but i also jacked up the car and discovered what appeared to be some oil on the rear leaking down onto the lower portions of the engine, namely the trans fluid cover and a few other things down there. My coolant level has been fairly steady ever since i changed the lim gaskets... but i have noticed some coolant and some oil going missing lately...

I'm waiting on another injector to come from phatride.. so i will be giving that a shot. but again, as far as following the problem to another cylinder, i haz no real way of tracking that.

I got lucky, if you wanna call it that, that the code lit up the SES light and didnt go off til i had it read at advance auto and then disconnected my battery to clear the light.

My usable powerband seems to be shrinking, it does not like to run over about 20% throttle w/o backpressure and misfire.

again, it seems to be boost that really puts it over the edge, leading me to a possible compression issue? could be even be a valve i suppose?

haven't pulled the plugs yet, gonna go borrow a compression tester from a buddy and do that.. so i will obviously be checking out the plugs then.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
well... i changed coils, swapped wires, did the soapy water trick...

but i also jacked up the car and discovered what appeared to be some oil on the rear leaking down onto the lower portions of the engine, namely the trans fluid cover and a few other things down there. My coolant level has been fairly steady ever since i changed the lim gaskets... but i have noticed some coolant and some oil going missing lately...

I'm waiting on another injector to come from phatride.. so i will be giving that a shot. but again, as far as following the problem to another cylinder, i haz no real way of tracking that.

I got lucky, if you wanna call it that, that the code lit up the SES light and didnt go off til i had it read at advance auto and then disconnected my battery to clear the light.

My usable powerband seems to be shrinking, it does not like to run over about 20% throttle w/o backpressure and misfire.

again, it seems to be boost that really puts it over the edge, leading me to a possible compression issue? could be even be a valve i suppose?

has it steadily been shrinking? pull the sc belt and go for a ride
you may also want to pull the O2 out and leave it unplugged (youll run off the programmed tables) and go for a ride to eliminate an exhaust backpressure/clogged cat issue

does the #4 plug look different than # 2 and 6?

Frank Dukes

TCG Elite Member
May 5, 2009
Rockfordia
hmm.. looking for a single wire. advance has them but they don't list which one is for what. they are all the same brand, four different options.. i assume i need the most expensive one as it would be longest.. but ofcourse they dont list such information. :picard:

also, i thought about pulling the SC belt and seeing waht would happen. if i do and the issue goes away, what could that mean?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info