PSA for all my fellow 3800 knuckleshuffles regarding MSD coils

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
I know that MSD makes some :nutz: worthy items for basically every other platform out there, but they failed pretty hard with the 3800 engines.

I was warned by people on clubgp and my regal site about them when I first got the car, but they were fine on my lower boost s/c setup. The red coil packs really pop in teh engine bay right? :s00ls:

I had multiple people claim they thought the car was having a slight misfire from idle all the way through WOT, but thats how the car was since we started it after the build was done so most of us just chalked it up as "normal sounds". Changed out plugs, wires, plugs wires etc... Changed the coils last night to good ol stock L67 and yeehaww the car is so smooth, it even changed the tune for idle and part throttle :hsugh:

so just saying, these were 40k miles MSD coils and they were teh culprit

:angrys00ls: :hs:

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Some are good, some are bad, I had great experiences with mine so I never would have thought that was the problem :dunno: I ran my 11.8 on those suckers. I'm glad you figured it out man, so when we were out the other night that was it huh? Crazy.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I ran .080-.085 gap on my msd coils with no blowout, ended up running 12.8's on that setup :dunno: I never had bad luck, but I sold them for the 6k mile l26 coils which i run now. Been the same since, didn't notice a difference. Those must have been some shitty coils.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info