my oil sparkles like Edward from twilight

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
well i go to change my oil this afternoon and the magnetic drain plug is covered in shaving. i then look at the oil, and i almost cried because it was so pretty. i've never seen anything that looked that amazing since twilight came out and i got my first glimpse of Edward.

but on a serious note...

im going to run this and beat the shit out of it until she blows. my question is: should i replace with a L67 or go w/ a L32? i will be looking at picking up a spare asap. and will just piece together some goodies (cam) until the motor in the car gets aids and dies.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Get the L32 lower end for sure. Some of the stuff is heat treated and hardened I believe.

Powdered metal connecting rods. The heads had slightly larger intake valves too.

However...to further confuse you...

If you can use a timing cover/oil pump from a '99-00 car on the L32 it would be a good idea. The castings were much fresher. By 2004 when the 3800's years were numbered, GM didn't refresh the castings and they were getting sloppy.

If you are sticking with stock or higher lift rockers, drop a cam in from a '98...most duration/highest lift stock cam. '97/98 L67s had 1.6 ratio rockers, 99 and later used 1.66 rockers. ;)

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
Powdered metal connecting rods. The heads had slightly larger intake valves too.

However...to further confuse you...

If you can use a timing cover/oil pump from a '99-00 car on the L32 it would be a good idea. The castings were much fresher. By 2004 when the 3800's years were numbered, GM didn't refresh the castings and they were getting sloppy.

If you are sticking with stock or higher lift rockers, drop a cam in from a '98...most duration/highest lift stock cam. '97/98 L67s had 1.6 ratio rockers, 99 and later used 1.66 rockers. ;)

so a L32 with a 99 timing cover and oil pump, and 98 cam ...lol

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Go l26, it's cheaper, better, and you don't need the low compression of an l67 at the power levels you're at, and probably ever get to. People assume way to much in this community, one being the whole low compression makes more power on the turbo cars. That's not true, and an l26 will take 22-25psi, and i'll bet you'll never get over that. just sayin

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Does the L26 have the same connecting rods as the L32?

Yes.

You will hit a "wall" around 11psi where you reach a point of diminishing gains on the L26...so keep it in mind.

Might want to talk to Dan (Phatride), he has run both set-ups, and is now on lower compression. IMHO, a smaller turbo with higher compression would be more fun as a street car.

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
What you talking ron? 11psi? You're crazy. Phatride never really had a chance to push the l26 in his car, when he did he tossed a couple rods through the block. He doesn't know what exactly happened, but it was pretty damn fast, faster, or as fast as his current setup on a smaller cam and WAYYYY less tuning. I know 14psi makes for a fast ass setup on an l26, and 17psi stretches the shit out of 7/8's chains. I can tell you though from 10psi-14psi makes a BIG difference, and 14-17 is even bigger. The 9.4:1 compression of the l26 is NOT high, it's normal, people boost 10.5:1 compression cars, and even higher than that. 3800 people are just not smart, they hear these low compression theories from Supra forums and think that applies to a car running 1/2 the boost. :picard: It's not true, the l26 cars are currently making more power anyhow, what the hell is the difference between an m90 and a turbo? Less boost = more power.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
It WILL make more power past 11psi, but you run into more issues making it work well past 11 psi without a lot throwing money at it. That also goes for a smaller turbo...sure you can boost it higher, but at a cost.

Small turbo, high compression, low boost. It's a good low-cost combination. But if you want more boost, bigger turbo, lower compression. For this you need to cam it, and go into more expensive trans mods.

Proven combinations.

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Again what are you talkin'? The l26 is stout dude, you won't throw more money at that than an l67/l32 :dunno: It's cheaper all around, idk why people think the l67/l32 is a better motor, not like they'll ever push it to the potential anyways. :dunno: and I vote 60-61 with the l26, any smaller than that and you're wasting your time. It's the best turbo in the world hands down, but won't make 500+whp, but don't worry, nobody ever gets there anyways.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
Again what are you talkin'? The l26 is stout dude, you won't throw more money at that than an l67/l32 :dunno: It's cheaper all around, idk why people think the l67/l32 is a better motor, not like they'll ever push it to the potential anyways. :dunno: and I vote 60-61 with the l26, any smaller than that and you're wasting your time. It's the best turbo in the world hands down, but won't make 500+whp, but don't worry, nobody ever gets there anyways.

Ron is saying for a daily car, 11psi is good, not that the motor will crap out, but a build past 11psi will require other mods, like a monster built trans.... I see what he is getting at, but I think it still depends on the vehicle though, some do fine with gobs of extra power, and some break at stock levels

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info