need help outta ideas

G_T_O

TCG Elite Member
May 10, 2009
Hey guys i need help from the more experienced here, my buddy johns car is breaking up around 4k rpms and we have no clue why. We switched coil packs suspecting that could be the cause because one of his coil packs was stripped (meaning the two bolts). Nothing happened still does this. We switched the ignition module for shits and giggles same thing happens. As far as we know he is getting the right amount of fuel pressure. but our minds are stumped on this one. Also his uncle changed the spark plugs in it as well, but when the old ones were takin out two were melted..... he doesnt know his spark plug gap, were gonna look soon. im curious as to why spark plugs would melt and does this mean serious damage coulda have happened? im really stumped

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
what did the plugs look like...plugs tell ALL

like this?

sparkplug13.jpg

--incorrect heat range/overtorquing the plugs...if the insulator is seperated form the shell and the shell is not discolored...its torque.
or

sparkplug14.jpg

knocking...over advanced timing...

or
sparkplug15.jpg

pre-ignition (caused by advanced timing, lean conditions, )

a FULL tune-up needs to be done whenever spark plugs that look like above are pulled...

i'd also check the wires

G_T_O

TCG Elite Member
May 10, 2009
i have no clue what they looked like was told they were melted by the kid who owns the car and his friend. i am going to futher look into it, it sounds to me when his uncle changed the plugs he didnt even bother to look at the gap, thought they came pre gapped. but not sure yet

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
it could be anything then. if he isnt using the right plug/correct gap, his tune is off, he's running too small of a pulley and getting a massive amount of KR....or a number of other things....
if your buddy doesnt want to share anything about his car he's going to have to figure it out himself..

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
lol melted plugs aren't a good thing, i can tell you that much. He must spray his car? I can't believe you want to ask us for help but you want to hide his mods... :ugh: it's a gen 3 car, even if it was fast, which i doubt it is, it wouldn't be fast enough to be a secret. Just sayin...

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
if he isn't telling anyone anything then he is fucked.

get hptuners or someone with a GOOD scanner (not that cheap autozone knockoffshits),

check out the o2s for lean conditions as well

it is more than likely running hella lean (causing plugs to melt).

if he doesn't want to share whats on the car...

start firing the parts cannon.

Do a full tune up with a proper gap...spark plugs come "pregapped" but really..why would you trust someone else when it takes 5 minutes to do it yourself and do it correctly?

tell him that he isn't driving a race car, back off the tune (timing), and enjoy the car for what it is before he starts walking everywhere like a homosexual.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I can't think of any 3800's that melted plugs before it chipped a piston, or any that melted plugs at all without some nitrous. IMO if he's not spraying his car he has no idea what a melted plug looks like. I have some pics of mine at home, but ultimately i had NO ground strap, melted ceramic, and melted electrode. Car ran just fine, didn't even know it was melted until i got on it. As soon as i got on it i got spark blowout since the gap was technically almost .350 (was arcing from what was left of the electrode to the "thread" section of the plug). My assumption of what's wrong now is it's damaged somewhere. M90 cars don't blow out spark unless it's a BIG gap, upwards of .060+. I doubt it's blowing out spark which leads me to think it's related to the damage done when it supposedly "melted" the old 2 the first time. Or his Uncle put the melted ones back in :rofl: i would do that to a noob trying to hide mods on an m90 car. :s00ls:

G_T_O

TCG Elite Member
May 10, 2009
sorry guys didnt read this yesterday. ok so the car has IS3 heads intense tranny with lsd :tear:. Nitrous blower cam, yella terrra 1.6 roller rockers, i believe it has 42.5 pounds injectors may be wrong. And it has kenne bells boost a pump for some odd reason. I am gonna take a look at the car this weekend hopefully if all goes well, i really think its the plug gap cause he told me his uncle just put the plugs in without checking them. He should have A103s right? whats the correct gap for him? And the car did have nitrous on it, its a nitrous setup but due to the car not running the nitrous has been out and sold. Very wierd setup this car has, i personally think its stupid but thats just me. As for mod wise that should be everything, and a northstar tb. Think i got everything, any futher help is appericated from ya guys! THANKS!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info