Wheel bearings

Cool, I thought I heard good things about them before but I just wanted to make sure. Heard too many horror stories about shit wheel bearings being sold for 3800's.

I got one other question tho, if someone has seen this problem before or can chime in please do. Basically what happens is I'm hearing clicking and creaking noises when I'm braking. Can't hear it at high speeds as much as low speeds, and I know clicking people are going to think CV shafts but it's not that. I've checked the CV shafts on the side I hear the noise coming from and they are sturdy as fuck and no leaks coming from the boots. Basically once you hit the brakes you can hear a slight click (you also hear another click if I take my foot off the brake and keep rolling), and then as I progress to a stop you hear a LOUD click as it comes to a stop, sometimes multiple clicks. Then when I'm stopped and in drive and push down on the brake it sounds like a constant clicking/creaking noise coming from the left wheel as pressure is applied and reapplied. It does not do the same thing in park. I'm stumped and it's only getting worse, I think it's got to be something with the caliper, but let me know what you guys think. I've pretty much checked everything out already there and I'm stumped and need to get this fixed before it becomes a problem instead of just an annoyance.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Well, if you suspect the bearings you are probably right if:
They are stockers and have more than 75K on them, or imports 50K on them.

I always sugesst replacing them in pairs, they will usally go within a few weeks of each other unless the car had a major alignment problem or something.

Yeah, the timken's are almost as good as the stockers...and they go locally for around $180, so a hundo is a very good price.

if the calipers or bracket bolts are loose this could happen. Just do a simple torque check to make sure all the bolts are tight. Doesn't hurt to check first. That's where I'd start. Then with the wheel off the ground spin the tire slowly and see if you can feel any drag in the wheel with your finger tips. Try to twist the tire like your turning to see if you have any play in the steering linkages. Let us know what you find.

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
I know ive posted about this before, but since were on topic, this is whats going on with me.

I know (or have been told) that the front pass wheel bearing is bad. There is no squeaking, grinding or whine or anything. Whats going on is when the tire is in the air, it can be moved... how do i put this... With one hand on 12 o'clock and the other on 6 o'clock of the tire you can push and one area will go in a tiny bit while the other goes out and vise versa.

Now im starting to get an odd feeling in the steering wheel. This happened about a week ago. I did nothing out of the ordinary (no hitting of pot holes or large bumps). The tires of the right amount of air. The steering wheel will tense up and loosen up through out handling the car. Its very suttle but you can tell something is up. Im not sure what it needs, but I know I gotta get it looked at. I have a feeling the suspension is going south or already is.

Im going to take Vogel's advice and replace both bearings. Car has 90K and as far as I know they are stock.

symptoms don't sound like wheel bearings at all...

Generally wheel bearing noise will be worse the faster you go, more of a growl/grind/whine.

It's been getting worse. I thought the chirping noises was my caliper sticking at first (which i thought would explain the creaking/clicking noise I get when pressure is applied to the brake at stops from the LF wheel) but now it's got the constant chirping at low speeds, so it's more than likely the beginning of the end.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info