GTP rough idle

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
My nephew's 97 GTP died at a light yesterday and then started idling rough. What are the first things I should look at on these cars? It has 173k on it. I plan on changing the plugs and fuel filter first, is that a good starting point? He is coming to the shop now, and I was going to unplug the MAF to see if that has anything to do with it.

utryd2

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 3, 2009
North Aurora
Check fuel pressure. There is a sensor/resistor (ant think what it is called) but it is in the pass front fender by washer bucket. It's the white brick with two wires. They go bad and cause those symptoms. There is a kit to extend it to the firewall to prevent it from happening again. I'm sure someone will be able to give u the exact name of it.

Found it. Fuel pump resistor. Google it.

utryd2

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 3, 2009
North Aurora
Oh there is a way to check if it is what I was talking about. If I remember correctly (few years ago I did this...found it on google search) you pull the big fuse and bend one prong don't recall which, but when u put the fuse back in try to start the car and if it runs normal it's ur prob.
Hope that helps out.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
The resistor would just cause it to die and not start. There is a quick fix for that as well. Kinda ghetto, but it will get the car running.

For future reference.

relays.jpg

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
No prob tonight Panda, I'll be staying late working on his car and drinking some beers anyway. I think a vac leak is possible because a couple little dealios with elec connectors and vac lines going into them are just laying on the back of the motor where they should be mounted to something. I saw one bracket with one hole back there that I think one of them should be attached to. The tension on the lines with them just boucing around could be the cause of the leak, no?

So most likely not the FPR, thanks HK.

Any tricks to getting to the plugs facing the firewall?

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
undo the front top motor mounts and rotate them up onto the engine... then rock the car back and forth with a friend... when the engine hits the fans, hit the e-brake and you will have more than enough room to do the rear plugs.... or put a ratchet strap/tie down on a motor mount and ratchet strap the engine forward with the motor mounts disconnected... i can get my monkey arms down there when the car is hot on my car... granted i am missing every bracket/egr/bullshit piece back there.

Frank Dukes

TCG Elite Member
May 5, 2009
Rockfordia
with the dogbones removed the engine moves forward a solid 4 inches i would guess. its more than enough room to do the job. i just did this last month, and the ratchet straps area a huge life saver. the only thing that slowed me down was the metal heat shields on all the wires at the plug connection end. just rip em out by the shield and cut old wire if need be at the plug to get your spark plug socket on there.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
How is the motor going to move that much with the exhaust and everything connected? I guess Ill find out later.

What is the plug of choice NGK V-pah? platinum?

the motor will hit the fans in the car. without a doubt... its pretty easy to change plugs on em... you'll knock it out quicker than you think if the car is cool.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info