lighter rims

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
i bought a DD and so the TGP is going to be a designated "race car" so it needs to go on a diet...

what are the lightest 16" rims out there for the GP that wont break the bank? obviously none will actually break the bank, but i am cheap, so the cheaper the better.

and on a side note, where do i find a set of skinnies? And does anyone know how to do the cable mod on the GP? if not, where do i at least find a set of spring blockers?

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
With my QTP's mounted on my TQ stars they are no more than 22lbs tops. I can easily lift them with 1 hand arm fully extended out, they're light as fuck. Both of them together with the QTP's mounted on them weigh less than 1 of my other tq stars with BFG KDW's mounted on it, and def lighter than 1 of my bullit wheels with 245's mounted on it. I have 2 sets of TQ stars :noes: but you can't have any :s00ls:

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I think the Montana wheels were the lightest... That's what most of the guys ran their drag radials on back in the day.

I'd skip the Grand Am brakes. Through some C5 calipers on the stock rotors. You'll save weight and improve braking rather than save weight and decrease braking.

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
I think the Montana wheels were the lightest... That's what most of the guys ran their drag radials on back in the day.

I'd skip the Grand Am brakes. Through some C5 calipers on the stock rotors. You'll save weight and improve braking rather than save weight and decrease braking.

didnt the first gen Montana's have 15" rims?
I agree with Ron on the grand am brakes. Kalo's old Impala and had no issues stopping at 130+ mph and the pads and rotors still look new. O and there cheap as hell.

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
Danny

Want my GA brakes? I'm thinking about putting the stockers back on since the car is back to a less "pound counting racecar" weight...
They're not as strong as stock brakes given equal pedal force, but I can still get ABS to kick in at 50+ mph...that seems like plenty of braking power unless you follow other cars close as balls.

I have the front GA brakes on the thing still, and rears sitting on the shelf. Let me know if you're interested...

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Danny

Want my GA brakes? I'm thinking about putting the stockers back on since the car is back to a less "pound counting racecar" weight...
They're not as strong as stock brakes given equal pedal force, but I can still get ABS to kick in at 50+ mph...that seems like plenty of braking power unless you follow other cars close as balls.

I have the front GA brakes on the thing still, and rears sitting on the shelf. Let me know if you're interested...

If you want 12" monte brakes, I have the fronts sitting in my garage Im trying to get rid of. :hsugh: They also barely fit the old man stock Regal rims.

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
ever driven a car with them, or just speculating?

didnt actually drive one, but rode shotgun in one and maybe he just didnt bleed the brakes but holy shit i thought stock sucked... its probably just me, but if it really is a gutted car thats track only its fine... oh and isnt there some custom grinding that you need done for the rears to work?

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
If you want 12" monte brakes, I have the fronts sitting in my garage Im trying to get rid of. :hsugh: They also barely fit the old man stock Regal rims.

If I didn't still technically own a pair of 15" slicks (I say technically because they're at KJ's last I knew...lol) I might take you up on that. Plus I'm not quite to the point that I want to put any money into the thing again yet...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info