Time for a new trans!

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
I know my GXP is not 3800 powered but its still and Grand Prix with the same damn trans lol
Welp, when I bought the GXP 2 years ago with 30,000 miles on the clock I opted for a GMPP warranty because I knew that the trans was gonna take a shit. I am at 69,500 miles and did a pan drop and found some steel chnunks in the pan. Sweet. The trans had been shifting a little shitty on the 1-2 shift for the past few thousand miles and I brought the car right to the dealer when it happened. They told me nothing is wrong and everything is perfect with my transmission. Here is some pics of carnage.
IMAG0055.jpg

Yup, sticks to a magnet, its steel
IMAG0054.jpg

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
I went to the dealer and talked to the service manager, showed him the pics and he even showed the techs and they agreed that it is the planet gears that are grinding up. They also claimed that is from abuse. They just want to replace the gear and what ever else is damaged and send me on my way but I do not think that is right and I believe that I need a overhaul because of metal through the trans. When I questioned the service manager about that he told me that "that is what the filter is for."

I feel like I am being fucked over.

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
this really might be the last gm that I buy. This car might be going away sooner then what I expected.
I also emailed dave and triple edge and I am waiting for his reply on what I should do.
Also the car is going to a different dealer, I am taking it to the dealer that I bought the car from and they seem more willing to help me.

my97gtp

Addict
Oct 5, 2008
Columbus Indiana
Real Name
Jay
be like this is the last fucking gm i will ever buy fuck you fucking commies

That is one of the worst things to say. When we talk to the district manager about a complaining customer and tell him that or customer service it pretty much the end of the customer help. We had a camaro that had paint damage from rocks on the road and they threw a fit and said they should have bought a challenger and it killed all possibility of getting it repainted under gm cost. The owner of my dealer ship painted though which i disagree with.

my97gtp

Addict
Oct 5, 2008
Columbus Indiana
Real Name
Jay
dan with gmpp it will be difficult to get a complete rebuild since it usually just replaces the failed part and requires and trans flush to take care of the left over material. The couple of transmissions we have rebuilt that had failed parts have done fine. One had a trashed 2nd gear clutch and the other sheared off the 4th gear clutch hub and sent metal through and its running great. How much time is left on your gmpp warranty? Also ask what kind of warranty or guaruntee is put on there work. Im sure the parts like all gm is 12 months 12,000 miles. Text me if i can help with gmpp questions or what can be done.

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
lol my dad has had quite a few problems with his 08 suburban up north... went to corporate

and all of a suddden had a taurus rental car, a limo, and a fixed truck shortly thereafter

Yea I had to call corporate about a different problem a few months ago and my car it still not fixed from that issue either.

these kind of stories are the exact reason i have, and probably never will, buy an extended warranty. fuck those fucks

Look at it this way. AN EXTENDED WARRANTY COMPNY DOESN'T MAKE $$$ BY WRITING BIG CHECKS. THey make it by finding any which way to bone you...I agree on extended and warranties and paying any sort of premiun for new or certified....all crap.

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
gmpp USED to be the best warranty you could buy....when all the buy-outs started happening, we can't get gmpp to pay. so we no longer even work on any cars that have gmpp. you used to be able to just warranty a whole unit (not that i would want a serta anyway) when it had a bunch of carnage in the pan, but now id guess any dealer you take it to that has a competent trans guy will repair the problem....which is not a bad thing.....

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
gmpp USED to be the best warranty you could buy....when all the buy-outs started happening, we can't get gmpp to pay. so we no longer even work on any cars that have gmpp. you used to be able to just warranty a whole unit (not that i would want a serta anyway) when it had a bunch of carnage in the pan, but now id guess any dealer you take it to that has a competent trans guy will repair the problem....which is not a bad thing.....

What would you recomend as a good warranty company to buy an extended warranty from? Are you a competent trans guy that would work on my car? I an very picky on who works on my car and I just don't trust anyone to take my trans out and attempt to fix it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info