cel light on and no overdrive/cruise/speedo

Shibby50

TCG Elite Member
Mar 30, 2008
Braidwood, IL
In my 94 park avenue the service engine light has been kicking on and off the past few days. When the light comes on, the speedo drops down to nothing and I lose overdrive and cruise control. The car runs fine and drives fine other than those symptoms. Tried hooking it up to a scanner and it says the scanner cant make a connection to figure out what the code is.

Any help?

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
its an obd 1.5 vehicle while the oems were required to switch to obd2 in 96. many manufacturerers used production vehicles as testers so its an odd obd1 and 2 hybrid with different comm protocols. i can scan it with my red brick if braidwood is anywhere near hangover park.

make sure that if the ignition cables are old they are routed away from the vss wires, it wasnt uncommon for the pcm to pick up inductive noise esp if the cables paralleled the vss wires as opposed to crossing them at a 90*
the other possibility is a serial communication issue between the instrument cluster and ECU/PCM

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info