tired of this car already

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
:tear:

well i started to have a fueling problem at WOT to where once i hit WOT it would lean out A LOT. well then my wideband quits working.

now i have something wrong that i dont really know what it is...

the car was riding/driving fine all day then coming home i took a sharp exit ramp at 60 mph. then i start to hear a humming sound (like a bad wheel hub or something) drive across town then i start to hear a clicking sound (it's not a constant clicking) so i take the wheel off to inspect it. no torn axle boots, no broken parts to the naked eye. the hub is bad because i can wiggle the wheel while mounted but would that cause clicking?

it's hard to determine EXACTLY where the noise is from because i am running open DP. so what may i be looking at here...axle? hub? bearing? or worse...trans? this is my DD and my job involves driving so i need this up and running asap.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Sounds somewhat like my axle sounded when it was falling apart. It had been leaking for over a year so I wasnt surprised that it was about time to take a shit.

I took a sharp turn, sounded like a bad hub growling, then started clicking, grinding, sounded awful. I turned around and it went away, which I'm assuming was from the movement of the engine/trans from shifting gears. I drove it like that for about a week as I asked TCG their input, and came to the consensus that the off and on grinding clicking etc was the axle and my continuing to drive on it was going to lead in disaster so I ended up pulling the axle (r/f where the noise was originating, and was the leaking axle) and it fell apart at the tripod with half still in the trans.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
I wouldnt say throw parts at it, but you may have to do a little more diagnosis, as I suppose it could be the hub. I mean, I have both front hubs that have some play, but neither howl. The noise at first had me think hub, but once I took the input from here and also remembered that it had been leaking for a year+ coupled with the bad motor mount that movement was basically causing the axle's tripod to move in and out of its natural area, thus causing what I experienced, as I was somewhat explained.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Didn't you buy that car for next to nothing? I would careless if I needed to put some money into it. If the job depends on driving I wouldn't driving around in a turbo'ed shitbox. Get something you can 100% depend on because it does not sound like you can with this car.
X2. id be buying one of those hondas that srt41320 has got for sale....

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Didn't you buy that car for next to nothing? I would careless if I needed to put some money into it. If the job depends on driving I wouldn't driving around in a turbo'ed shitbox. Get something you can 100% depend on because it does not sound like you can with this car.

:werd:

X2. id be buying one of those hondas that srt41320 has got for sale....

yep

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
The tires were used when I bought the bullitts. It lieterally sounds like an airplane is always flying over me when the windows are up, not super loud but its there. I also noticed its faster with speed.

yeah and he apparently never rotated em except front to rear

switch tires left to right and i bet the tone of the noise changes a good bit

the tread is feathered one direction it will be relativly quiet, the other ungodly loud....guess which way you have to leave it to even out the tread

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
yeah and he apparently never rotated em except front to rear

switch tires left to right and i bet the tone of the noise changes a good bit

the tread is feathered one direction it will be relativly quiet, the other ungodly loud....guess which way you have to leave it to even out the tread

Ill have to give it a shot :bigthumb:

(sorry for the thread jacking)

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
i did get the car for cheap but that doesn't mean i want to have problems every other day lol.

and i have been on the lookout for a DD but i dont want to buy some cheap ass car. whether it's turbo'd or not it could still break if old/cheap enough.

but any ideas on the problem guys? should i replace the hub, or replace the axle?

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
and since it's a POS, you could probably just disable ABS and go with the much cheaper non-ABS hubs IIRC. Pretty sure they're interchangeable, and the non-abs is less expensive because there's no wheel speed sensor in them. Pull the ABS/Brake lights out of the cluster and disregard...hell, swap to a non-ABS master while you're at it, save some weight and free up some underhood space.

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
ABS is gone because of DP fitment.

**UPDATE**

took it out for a drive earlier and i determined it was just the hub. so i came back home. well i just went to run some errands and got a few blocks away and the sound was god awful. so i turn around and go home. put the car up on stands and put it in drive and "drive" it to 30 mph. the sound was terrible then all of a sudden the driver axle quit spinning. the car was still "going 30" and the passenger was still spinning. i hit the brakes and give it a little more gas. it resumed spinning for about 3 seconds then stopped again....

diagnosis anyone? just the differential or is the trans shot?

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
If the axle locked up, it could stop the diff, and cause only one wheel to spin.

When the diff grenades, it generally blows the holy hell out of the diff extension housing, firing all of the fluid in the trans out everywhere. Not saying for certain it's not the diff, but it sounds less like a diff than something else.

If the hub's bad, replace it, you can remove and inspect the axle while you're in there (or just inspect both axles to be thorough).

Also, I'm not sure how you were supporting the car while bringing the wheels up to speed, but if the struts/springs were unloaded during, I can't imagine the angle that would put the axles at would be very good for those parts. If you're going to try to run it in place, supporting it off of the control arms would be better to simulate the angles that occur during driving, but I'd suspect that supporting the car in that manner would be much less safe and/or stable...

anyhow, any manner of running the car while it's up in the air seems unnecessarily dangerous to me, so do so at your own risk...

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
If the axle locked up, it could stop the diff, and cause only one wheel to spin.

When the diff grenades, it generally blows the holy hell out of the diff extension housing, firing all of the fluid in the trans out everywhere. Not saying for certain it's not the diff, but it sounds less like a diff than something else.

If the hub's bad, replace it, you can remove and inspect the axle while you're in there (or just inspect both axles to be thorough).

Also, I'm not sure how you were supporting the car while bringing the wheels up to speed, but if the struts/springs were unloaded during, I can't imagine the angle that would put the axles at would be very good for those parts. If you're going to try to run it in place, supporting it off of the control arms would be better to simulate the angles that occur during driving, but I'd suspect that supporting the car in that manner would be much less safe and/or stable...

anyhow, any manner of running the car while it's up in the air seems unnecessarily dangerous to me, so do so at your own risk...

i supported the control arms rather than them just hanging.

i think im going to go pull the axle and inspect it and the OS splines. maybe it wasn't seated all the way and wore down the splines on the shaft or something...

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
photo-14.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info