series II 3800 ignition systems

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
so i had module fail on my '87 buick. everyone says just to run stock delco parts. ive looked, there is no aftermarket coils or modules avalible.

soooo ive come up with this idea to swap to a series II ignition module and coils.

for those fast guys on here, are you still running stock delco module and coils? is there an aftermarket? MSD coils worth a fuck?

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
i ran a stock ICM on mine without a problem. i havent seen an aftermarket module available.
the MSD blasters packs are just stock coils with a red case. not worth a fuck. you're better off with stock.

:werd:

Word around town is the MSD packs are actually for L36s as well, and not L67s. Who knows if that holds any water though.

Stock L67 ICM should do you fine.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
so i had module fail on my '87 buick. everyone says just to run stock delco parts. ive looked, there is no aftermarket coils or modules avalible.

soooo ive come up with this idea to swap to a series II ignition module and coils.

for those fast guys on here, are you still running stock delco module and coils? is there an aftermarket? MSD coils worth a fuck?

shoot the magnavox to delco icm swaps have been around a long time, you were still running the magnavox shit? hell i think i have one on my shelf somewhere, iirc the delco has one less wire used but it is just an extra ground on the magnavox unit.
you will want a regular icm (tommygloves has a delco unit he'd part with and i have a few on my shelf) your looking for the 98-99+ L67 coils, on the underside you will see blue plastic covering the primary side female spade terminals, yellow or gray is L36/aftermarket the icm/coil mount plate can be grabbed from any 3800 from 91+ (grab the square head bolts/nuts) the icm is the same part number iirc from the 91-2008

i did the magnavox to delco swap on the 442's 90 3800 that was in the back, thing fired up way faster and idled better, you'll wonder why you stuck with the magnavox lol

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
daturbosix i saw your want ad
http://www.thechicagogarage.com/forum/showthread.php?p=787393#post787393

i yanked the icm/plate to cylinder head mount and coils off the 90 3800 and stole a later plate from an icm setup with a broken bolt
the 1/4 coil has cosmetic damage but it ran fine in the 442 but i tossed a known good 1/4 next to it (na coils btw, i have l67 coils but them are for the 442's new motor lol

the 90 unit doesnt have the plate so the larger coil mounting bolts wont work with the plate that youll have to use from the later unit, but i only have 2 of the correct bolts (10-32/8-32 thread iirc ~1.25 inches)

youll probably want stainless to purdy up that stock lookin engine bay anyways lol

i left eveything outside the garage back door on that damn black stool if you need it asap you can get ahold of raysgtp/02bluegt/doubleD and they'll know where it is if you link em to this post.

i figure 70$ for plate/icm/coils should be fair enough, aurora usually wants 50$ just for the icm. i'll be off work around 5 or 6 maybe later who the hell knows.

:nutz:

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
I needs this too.

well yer screwed but i'll give you a great deal on l67 coils...long story but we have to bailout don/donna as donna's dumb ass got taken on a variation of the nigerian money order scam and we dont want that bitch moving back in so i need extra scratch for truck insurance since the old man needed help to cover the house bills. god i hate that fuckin cunt more than ever dumb fucking bitch with no god damn brain.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info