wbody store belt wrap kit

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
it appears to be a bolt-on and go piece. The only interference issues they note is the fuel rail studs on non-ic cars, which IMO should never be running pulleys small enough to need a piece like this.

Little pricier than the other belt-wrap kits I've seen, including the one I used to have, but it looks a good deal cooler than what I had too.

nemesis

Addict
Aug 28, 2007
chitown
2.8 at the time when it was slipping. but i did change to a 3.5 tensioner and gates belt. not sure if that help since i don't a scanner. i thought about doing the 8 ribbed pulley conversion but after second thought on all the parts i have to buy that's why i ask about the belt wrap kit, since it's cheaper and seem like it does the job.

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
2.8 at the time when it was slipping. but i did change to a 3.5 tensioner and gates belt. not sure if that help since i don't a scanner. i thought about doing the 8 ribbed pulley conversion but after second thought on all the parts i have to buy that's why i ask about the belt wrap kit, since it's cheaper and seem like it does the job.

Wait, you have no means of scanning, and are running a 2.8 pulley?

Sounds like you're treading on a slippery slope there.

A 2.8 pulley, with a good-quality belt that is properly sized should really never have any problems with slippage. If you're having slip issues, it would be wise to ensure there's no contamination of the belt surface (oil or coolant getting on the belt) from anywhere on the front of the engine (I've seen an overfilled blower sling oil on belts and cause slippage).

I ran an 8-rib and was unimpressed with it. I never really noted any differences in propensity for slippage, but it did look pretty sweet.

If you're slipping a 2.8 pulley, I'd look for reasons why before I'd look for a band-aid cure. I only very rarely ever experienced slippage with a 2.7, slightly more occasionally with a 2.6 and 2.55. I've never seen a car slip a 2.8 without exterior forces at work. Not really saying it can't happen, just that there might be other factors to blame.

If the pulleys and belt are clean, and still slipping, an aux. idler like the one in question should do wonders to curtail slippage.

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
I have it on but its from different people. The bolts are a little longer and I had to cut ( shave ) a piece of the charger off because it was blocking where the bar would sit. I run a 3.0 and have next to no KR. The only time when I DID scan it that I seen KR was when the car shifted.

I also did the 8 rib conversion kit to ensure my slippage issue stopped.. Mine was so bad you could see black shavings from the belt in my motor bay. The weird thing was that the belt was very tight..

Last edited:

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Wait, you have no means of scanning, and are running a 2.8 pulley?

Sounds like you're treading on a slippery slope there.

A 2.8 pulley, with a good-quality belt that is properly sized should really never have any problems with slippage. If you're having slip issues, it would be wise to ensure there's no contamination of the belt surface (oil or coolant getting on the belt) from anywhere on the front of the engine (I've seen an overfilled blower sling oil on belts and cause slippage).

I ran an 8-rib and was unimpressed with it. I never really noted any differences in propensity for slippage, but it did look pretty sweet.

If you're slipping a 2.8 pulley, I'd look for reasons why before I'd look for a band-aid cure. I only very rarely ever experienced slippage with a 2.7, slightly more occasionally with a 2.6 and 2.55. I've never seen a car slip a 2.8 without exterior forces at work. Not really saying it can't happen, just that there might be other factors to blame.

If the pulleys and belt are clean, and still slipping, an aux. idler like the one in question should do wonders to curtail slippage.

I don't buy this at all....it really depends on so many things that you just can't make a blanket statement about it.

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
I don't buy this at all....it really depends on so many things that you just can't make a blanket statement about it.

I suppose boost pressure would have a marked effect on the propensity for slippage, but other than that, you're dealing with the same length belts, the same pulley surfaces, the same wrap angles, etc. You could make an argument that gearing, or the rate at which the engine gains RPM would have a slight effect, and any angular misalignment related to the addition of the intercooler (if blower is not installed carefully on the older ICs without dowel pins, several degrees of misalignment can be induced) can really cause fits.

Aside from those things, in my mind, belt surface contamination is the major factor that's often overlooked. There are a ton of places near the belts where oil or coolant can get out and get onto the belt, especially if the car has had the front cover open and wasn't sealed well when replaced (cam install). It takes a frighteningly small amount of either of those things to make or break the belt's ability to grip, especially when you're already pressing your luck with the power transmission of the belt, at least that's what I found on my car.

Anyhow, that's about all I could think of as far as factors causing or aggravating slip. I'm not trying to make a blanket statement that there are no other factors in play, but addressing the above worked for me, and appeared the most obvious/relevant to me. What am I missing? If there was something else I was missing all that time, I'd like to know about it, even though it's not especially useful info for me anymore...especially since the regal has no blower belt at all at this point:dunno:

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Aside from those things, in my mind, belt surface contamination is the major factor that's often overlooked. There are a ton of places near the belts where oil or coolant can get out and get onto the belt, especially if the car has had the front cover open and wasn't sealed well when replaced (cam install). It takes a frighteningly small amount of either of those things to make or break the belt's ability to grip, especially when you're already pressing your luck with the power transmission of the belt, at least that's what I found on my car.

Anyhow, that's about all I could think of as far as factors causing or aggravating slip. I'm not trying to make a blanket statement that there are no other factors in play, but addressing the above worked for me, and appeared the most obvious/relevant to me. What am I missing? If there was something else I was missing all that time, I'd like to know about it, even though it's not especially useful info for me anymore...especially since the regal has no blower belt at all at this point:dunno:

belts also get rocks wedged into the ribs, and even more common rubber dust, its not uncommon for me to run a hooked pick through each rib of a belt just fixing a belt squeak

no blower belt eh? ya goin turbo? :noes::jg:

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
that was the plan originally James, but currently I lack the money and drive to do so. The thing is ready for it, mostly at least. No blower belt, still has the full fuel system, built trans, etc. Just needs the snail, pipes, and a tune. Heads/cam are back to stock but I still have the heads. I'm contemplating selling it as-is to someone on here who'd like to do a turbo build. We'll see...

nemesis

Addict
Aug 28, 2007
chitown
i think i solve my problem. i took off the gates belt (current) and measure up with the old gator belt. the old belt is about 1/4 of an inch longer also one of the coolant elbow (front of the alternator) is lightly seeping out coolant. the gator belt was brand new when intercooler was installed. the belt must stretch out or something. there was no belt slipperage at the time the car was tune. it was reading 11 pounds of boost, does that sound right for stage 2 ic and 2.8 pulley?

LMFAO at tommygloves so when you gonna run that gtp of yours with the monte? i'll tell you what when ever the bonne run a 12.54 or better call me out ok other wise anytime you want to run the gtp lmk.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info