Spark plug gap effect on performance.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Ive recently started to experiment with a using a tighter spark plug gap, as I heard this helped a few 3800 guys. Previously I was running NGK TR6s @ .055, I installed new plugs the other day and gaped them at .045.

Idk if its just me or what but the car feels slower. That or maybe the plug wires arnt working at best performance anymore. They are stock GM and I have took them off and on probably 6+ times before last replacement.

Discuss

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
For some reason anytime my GTP starts to run like garbage it's been ignition related. Plugs, wires, boots, coil pack terminals, etc.

Thats what I thought, and was looking for a problem for the last two years, then 10 minutes idling in James's drive way with the new exhaust, and we discovered my burned exhaust valve :angrys00ls:....... And less gap will lower your mid range power a bit(smaller starting flame kernel), but we are talking small amounts here, the only big gain of lowering gap is if you are having spark blow-out, or KR issues (having the ground strap closer to the plug and head moves it all little more out of where it can ignite the fuel....in theory)

But Give James a minute, I'm sure he will give you a better answer than mine

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
just be thankfull they got rid of the magnavox ignitions

closing your plug gap decreases the resistance and reduces the firing voltage (not as hot/intense of a spark), not to mention the spark kernel is shrouded more.

you do want the biggest gap possible without spark blowout. if anything you can cut off 1/8th of an inch off the end of the groundstrap and sidegap it

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
You worry about plugs and wires a lot.

Thanks for the input.

btw you are NOT a member of Double D Racing.

If it really changed anything enough to make a diff, shouldn't you see that in your trims?

Gap definitely makes a diff, so no need to test.

Trims look the same although this morning WOT locked in at +2. I can probably blame this on the huge flux in temperatures over the last few days though.

For some reason anytime my GTP starts to run like garbage it's been ignition related. Plugs, wires, boots, coil pack terminals, etc.

Yea, I try to change the plugs often, its cheap and easy.

Thats what I thought, and was looking for a problem for the last two years, then 10 minutes idling in James's drive way with the new exhaust, and we discovered my burned exhaust valve :angrys00ls:....... And less gap will lower your mid range power a bit(smaller starting flame kernel), but we are talking small amounts here, the only big gain of lowering gap is if you are having spark blow-out, or KR issues (having the ground strap closer to the plug and head moves it all little more out of where it can ignite the fuel....in theory)

But Give James a minute, I'm sure he will give you a better answer than mine

How did u find burnt exhaust valve?

I do believe I am getting a decrease in power after this plug change. I don't think it could be the oil change and the airfilter I did at the same time. Tune is unchanged. I cant get this car to knock, whats spark blowout?

just be thankfull they got rid of the magnavox ignitions

closing your plug gap decreases the resistance and reduces the firing voltage (not as hot/intense of a spark), not to mention the spark kernel is shrouded more.

you do want the biggest gap possible without spark blowout. if anything you can cut off 1/8th of an inch off the end of the groundstrap and sidegap it

I think im going to gap the plugs at .060 and see if any difference in power/KR. Where can I buy a GOOD plug gap tool, not these circle ricerzone things.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
How did u find burnt exhaust valve?

I do believe I am getting a decrease in power after this plug change. I don't think it could be the oil change and the airfilter I did at the same time. Tune is unchanged. I cant get this car to knock, whats spark blowout?

I think im going to gap the plugs at .060 and see if any difference in power/KR. Where can I buy a GOOD plug gap tool, not these circle ricerzone things.

Exhaust valve: Sucktion in the exhaust system, means the one or more exhaust valve is not seating properly and the intake stroke is sucking back in from the exhaust

Spark blow-out is where the gap is too big, so you have a cooler spark, and the airflow in the cylinder is enough to keep the fuel from igniting, sometimes it can even increase the resistance enough to prevent the spark from happening

Go to a hardware store and buy a set of "Feeler" Gauges, they are 2 - 3 inch pieces of steel usually in a set, and they are exact thicknesses, use them to measure the gap, and your fingers/pliers to move the ground strap

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
af6zor4ShIVrFvCTkB3S21ALNe8Ahjr1SlyfBnNMO0Xx0NiDtf8Waft8qMOaL1qCdMuHU1vYcANj8U3VWDNg8UdqaWiLhNoZRFO-bL4hBqE8MF4O1wATc3GFHxroPSeE3nMwY7mf-E_t7o_BDLFfrFwIx38jhelkqyj9LEAD-Nd80CJGX5zASVf8

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info