ODD A/C Problem

Unless you have a hard failure of a mode door the problem is the expansion (orfice) tube.

The Dual Zone system uses a split air distribution case. The bottom half of the evaporator supplies cool air to the passenger side and the upper half to the driver side. When the orfice tube starts to become restricted it does not meter enough refrigerant into the evaporator. The R134-A absorbs the heat (cooling the incoming air) at the bottom of the evaporator but by the time it reaches the upper portion it has already absorbed all the heat that it can which results in a loss of cooling on the driver side.

The replacement orfice tube wil look different than the one removed - it is an updated design.

The system will need to be completely evacuated of R-134A to perform this procedure and the brake/traction control module may need to be moved to gain access to the line.

After replacing the expansion tube the system will need to be evacuated and charged. Be sure to add about 1 ounce of GM PAG oil (125cst weight) when charging the system. DO NOT use Ester oil or any other weight oil. You will damage the compressor.

Also MAKE SURE you do not overcharge or undercharge the system (cans). An overcharge will flood the evaporator with R134-A which will cause a loss of cooling and an undercharge will result in a similar condition to which you are having now.

One last thing - DON'T put sealer in the system (the drop in can crap). It is the worst thing you can do to a system. I don't know why the even sell the crap.

(found that on club GP click here to read the rest of the thread: http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.asp?m ... s=#1546733 )

And here's the location of said orifice tube...apparently, it's a $5.00 part, but a bit labor intense to replace it. http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.asp?m ... s=#3793565

I'm like 99% sure this is my problem, stemming from a bad compressor. I'll need to replace the compressor, then install the updated orifice tube.

One more thing: I've also read that if there's pressure issues in the system, the PCM (or BCM ) recognizes this, and does not let the relay kick the compressor on, so don't think that the compressor's bad automatically when it doesn't engage, you may have a pressure problem. I/E overfilled system.

Orifice tube, trust me.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Why dont' you guys get a $10 thing of refrigerant, put it in, see that you'll have cold air on BOTH sides again and stop assuming this stupid orifice tube is the problem. I had the problem, filled up with refrigerant, problem gone, same with bikrboy, and numerous others. If your a/c system was new then this would be unlikely, but they're not, therefore that's the problem.

raygtps

World ain't what it seems, is it gunny?
Nov 29, 2009
HP IL
Why dont' you guys get a $10 thing of refrigerant, put it in, see that you'll have cold air on BOTH sides again and stop assuming this stupid orifice tube is the problem. I had the problem, filled up with refrigerant, problem gone, same with bikrboy, and numerous others. If your a/c system was new then this would be unlikely, but they're not, therefore that's the problem.

All ac systems lose refrigerant and need to be recharged on a somewhat regular bases. With that being said your $10.00 5 minute fix is the best place to start, because the system could more then likely use a charge or a top off any way and it's quick and cheep. Just because something doesn't work doesn't mean it has to cost a lot or take a lot of time to fix it.

Ray, he knows so much, but posts so little usefull info......

This is why I don't post a lot.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
grab a can and i'll give ya my gauges, at the least check relaxed pressure and your high/lowside delta, that will give us a clue if daves orifice is clogged...from all that healthy food

9 out of ten times that the orifice tube is clogged the compressor is about to shit bricks all through the condenser and fuck all sorts of shit up.

and yes dave i do have a vac pump so if you have to repair it....

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
All ac systems lose refrigerant and need to be recharged on a somewhat regular bases. With that being said your $10.00 5 minute fix is the best place to start, because the system could more then likely use a charge or a top off any way and it's quick and cheep. Just because something doesn't work doesn't mean it has to cost a lot or take a lot of time to fix it.

R-12 systems actually vented, if a R134a system is low, it has a leak.... Ac didn't work at all when I first got warm outside, I added a little refrigerant, and it started working on the one side... I just need to get more refrigerant at some point...

Unless you have a hard failure of a mode door the problem is the expansion (orfice) tube.

The Dual Zone system uses a split air distribution case. The bottom half of the evaporator supplies cool air to the passenger side and the upper half to the driver side. When the orfice tube starts to become restricted it does not meter enough refrigerant into the evaporator. The R134-A absorbs the heat (cooling the incoming air) at the bottom of the evaporator but by the time it reaches the upper portion it has already absorbed all the heat that it can which results in a loss of cooling on the driver side.

The replacement orfice tube wil look different than the one removed - it is an updated design.

The system will need to be completely evacuated of R-134A to perform this procedure and the brake/traction control module may need to be moved to gain access to the line.

After replacing the expansion tube the system will need to be evacuated and charged. Be sure to add about 1 ounce of GM PAG oil (125cst weight) when charging the system. DO NOT use Ester oil or any other weight oil. You will damage the compressor.

Also MAKE SURE you do not overcharge or undercharge the system (cans). An overcharge will flood the evaporator with R134-A which will cause a loss of cooling and an undercharge will result in a similar condition to which you are having now.

One last thing - DON'T put sealer in the system (the drop in can crap). It is the worst thing you can do to a system. I don't know why the even sell the crap.

(found that on club GP click here to read the rest of the thread: http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.asp?m ... s=#1546733 )

And here's the location of said orifice tube...apparently, it's a $5.00 part, but a bit labor intense to replace it. http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.asp?m ... s=#3793565

I'm like 99% sure this is my problem, stemming from a bad compressor. I'll need to replace the compressor, then install the updated orifice tube.

One more thing: I've also read that if there's pressure issues in the system, the PCM (or BCM ) recognizes this, and does not let the relay kick the compressor on, so don't think that the compressor's bad automatically when it doesn't engage, you may have a pressure problem. I/E overfilled system.
Orifice tube, trust me.

That article even states that an under charge would cause the same situation as a partially clogged orifice tube

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info