garlock gaskets

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I just got the garlock supercharger gasket for my monte...on the gen v one they sent me, there are not any of the coolant passages cut or anything. Do I just slap the gasket on like a normal one and ignor the different openings?. I don't have my pcv function any more and have the ported intake...dunno if it matters. The oem gasket just has more holes and the metal around the gasket. Thanks

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
I hate hate hate hate those gaskets with a passion. I dont know the answer to your question, but plan on using RTV on both sides of any garlock gaskets you use. The are notorious for leaking.

RTV doesn't even work on those total piece of shit gaskets. I try and talk everyone out of using those things...and unfortunately many insist on them because of the hype.

It's hard enough to get a decent seal on a 3800 IC plate/LIM as is, and those gaskets make it even harder. The worst part is how absorbant they are...RTV peels right off of them. Since the PCV runs through the gasket, it gets saturated with oil mist. A sucessful install with RTV will even fail, because the oil delaminates the RTV over a period of time. To add to the non-recomendation, it's my thought that the saturated gaskets can expand with heat, and over time will also be another source for a vac/boost leak.

I don't know what in the world they are thinking pushing those things...I think at this point it would be common knowledge they suck.

If you use a gasket, stock is best...even better is just RTV; yeah - you lose the advantage of the paper thermal layer, but after a few minutes at full operating temps it really doesn't matter anyway. I found far fewer intake problems with just a thin layer of RTV on both mating surfaces dried to a light tack before install.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
RTV doesn't even work on those total piece of shit gaskets. I try and talk everyone out of using those things...and unfortunately many insist on them because of the hype.

It's hard enough to get a decent seal on a 3800 IC plate/LIM as is, and those gaskets make it even harder. The worst part is how absorbant they are...RTV peels right off of them. Since the PCV runs through the gasket, it gets saturated with oil mist. A sucessful install with RTV will even fail, because the oil delaminates the RTV over a period of time. To add to the non-recomendation, it's my thought that the saturated gaskets can expand with heat, and over time will also be another source for a vac/boost leak.

I don't know what in the world they are thinking pushing those things...I think at this point it would be common knowledge they suck.

If you use a gasket, stock is best...even better is just RTV; yeah - you lose the advantage of the paper thermal layer, but after a few minutes at full operating temps it really doesn't matter anyway. I found far fewer intake problems with just a thin layer of RTV on both mating surfaces dried to a light tack before install.

x2,

I wish I took pictures of the Garlock i put on when I first put the blower on..... Car wouldn't run cause the vac leak was so bad, then it got a little coolant on it from me re-filling fluids, I thought it was going to dissolve....just go with stock gaskets, especially the gen 5 as those gaskets are decent

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Yeah, I am not sure if the LIM or the supercharger gasket would cause this but now my car is running really rich. I checked all connections, and they are correct. Vac harness hooked up correctly fuel pressure still the same. The car just bogs terribly with any throttle.

So I hooked up hpt, no dtc codes. At idle, car runs fine ecept for idle surge and car leaning out during the first start up of the day until the motor warms up just a bit...not sure what that is about. Either way, when throttle is applied past 10% the car runs super rich. Stft are like -15 and worse. My wideband does show a little rich, but at close to wot the car starts sputterin, kr goes up, afr shows 9 something, so I figure the car is just really rich right now.

Anyone got ideas? Change the supercharger gasket and then lean it out if it is still rich? Not sure if the old LIM gasket was leakibg that bad to be leaning it out that much? Thanks for any help

FlyinGTP

Regular
Apr 25, 2008
Elk Grove
worst gaskets ever. i tried them out on my old 98 gtp sedan back in 06 and they caused nothing but driveabilty problems even with an rtv layer they still never sealed right. save you money and don't buy them.

one of the drivablity issues they caused on my car is all sorts of first start up problems when the motor is cold mainly surging and stalling type issues. i had a feeling that the garlocks were causing the issue and after changing them out all was good.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info