00 trans in a 97 gtp

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
I just bought a built trans for my 97 gtp turbo project. Before buying it, I messaged ZZP and asked them if it would work, they said "yes."*

well I messaged them today asking a few question for an off the shelf tune (just to get me started, I do have a powertuner to mod it). I asked them If they can get me a tune for my 97 turbo gtp with a 00 trans and the replied " I cant do custom trans files to 97s, hopefully the 97 core will make the 00 trans work properly.*But I can build a turbo file for your 97."

So my question is, will it work? *Does something have to be modified?

Trans specs are:
4340*input*shaft
Chromoly pump shaft
Hardened 4th hub
2.93 7/8ths gear/chain
Transgo shift kit
Borg Warner clutches
Gt converter (3000 stall)

FlyinGTP

Regular
Apr 25, 2008
Elk Grove
having a 97 i'm familar with this topic. first off only n/a 3.8 cars had a 4t60e in 97 all supercharged cars had a 4t65e hd. Will the 00 trans work in the car? yes it will but it's not quite plug and chug. first off depending on the prodate of the 00 it could have the "xb" newer style valve body. the 97 would for sure have the "xa" valve body. now this isn't a huge deal in terms of making the trans work.

where is gets tricky is the wiring harness for the 97 pcm is a bit different then 00. you basically need to move some wires around for everything to work correctly if i remember right. I believe in the connector housing is the same just the pin assignment is slightly different. i looked into it a while back incase i ever needed to swap a newer transaxle into my 97.

03 is really the only really different transaxle in the 97-03 body style, however even that could work in earlier car you just need to rewire the connector.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info