Looking to Tune toward better MPG

Being new to the Garage I have searched and found a few posts regarding tuning and who to look to. Many of the answers were vague and pointed in general directions which I will follow up on in due time. In the end what I would like to do is get better MPG. I have a few mods that were sugested from another group but those will take some time.

If you know someone with a HPT or other computer related scanner/tuner please let me know or tell me who so I can indroduce myself. I would appreciate it.

Many Thanks in Advance!

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I would try to find someone with a pwrtuner, i have htp but it's going to end up being way to expensive to do the minor stuff you need done right now. :hs: there's plenty of pwrtuners on here so as mook said, the responses will be here. :bigthumb:

FastKatt

3800 Tuner
Oct 21, 2007
Cleveland, TN
Real Name
Billy Wheeler
So, he bought a HPT so he could email you scans? :io:

I think everyone that mods their car needs to learn to tune it.
If we could get all the tools on ClubGPGP to sell their tuners, it would be a great start!

That being said, Hi I'm Billy aka FastKatt.
I own a DHP PowrTuner (no credits needed = less cost)
I live in Rockford & I've tuned a couple guys on this forum as well as a few other GP sites.
The nice thing about tuning for mileage, timing is your friend. So, you end up with a little more HP & a faster car in the process. The bad part,... Your ass feels this change, sends more weight to your foot, and you don't ever see the higher MPGs

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
No, kj had his own hpt which ironically i have as well :dunno:. Instead of driving around and tuning his car in screwsville u.s.a. (he lives FAR from me) he would send me a scan after his daily driving needs, i would change it accordingly, then he would load that in, and do the same until it was perfect. We stopped due to issues with his car, but 4-5 times doing that nets a tuned car without having to leave home. I do this for numerous people actually, they all know how to use it but they have a problem here or there that i help them out fixing, or they're scared they might make a mistake. Panda was new to htp about 6 months ago and he's all over that shit now, and i've seen his tuning, he does a damn good job.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I think your best bet for a MPG increase is buying some exhaust modifications rather than tuning. (I am going to guess the car is stock). Also do maintenance on the car, plugs, wires, fuel filter, pcv, injector cleaner etc. The exhaust modifications will not only give you better mpg they might make the car faster, not to mention when you do start tuning you can run more cruise timing.

I think your best bet for a MPG increase is buying some exhaust modifications rather than tuning. (I am going to guess the car is stock). Also do maintenance on the car, plugs, wires, fuel filter, pcv, injector cleaner etc. The exhaust modifications will not only give you better mpg they might make the car faster, not to mention when you do start tuning you can run more cruise timing.

I am running Borlas everythign else is stock yes. New plugs, wires, FF about 36,000 ago. Also at that time was a new PCM, ignition block (not sure if that is what it is called) and a new stock tune from the guy that repaired her.

I went from 29mpg to 18 (when I knew she had an issue ) to 22 - 24 and now am at 26.7. My target is 31.25MPG. Next up was gonna be seafoam.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
So, he bought a HPT so he could email you scans? :io:

I think everyone that mods their car needs to learn to tune it.
If we could get all the tools on ClubGPGP to sell their tuners, it would be a great start!

That being said, Hi I'm Billy aka FastKatt.
I own a DHP PowrTuner (no credits needed = less cost)
I live in Rockford & I've tuned a couple guys on this forum as well as a few other GP sites.
The nice thing about tuning for mileage, timing is your friend. So, you end up with a little more HP & a faster car in the process. The bad part,... Your ass feels this change, sends more weight to your foot, and you don't ever see the higher MPGs

:werd:

PANDA raises valid points here as well.

I am running Borlas everythign else is stock yes. New plugs, wires, FF about 36,000 ago. Also at that time was a new PCM, ignition block (not sure if that is what it is called) and a new stock tune from the guy that repaired her.

I went from 29mpg to 18 (when I knew she had an issue ) to 22 - 24 and now am at 26.7. My target is 31.25MPG. Next up was gonna be seafoam.

That MPG isn't bad at all. Shooting for 31.25 is a great goal... but you may never get there. Squeezing that much out of it will require pretty much every tweak in the book and the lightest right foot in the wild west.

Good luck in your journey.
50psi in tires. Do it.

:werd:

PANDA raises valid points here as well.

That MPG isn't bad at all. Shooting for 31.25 is a great goal... but you may never get there. Squeezing that much out of it will require pretty much every tweak in the book and the lightest right foot in the wild west.

Good luck in your journey.

Well I may be the only one on 294 driving 55 these days. If you see me wave. I am the one holding up traffic.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Your car is rated at 17/27 so you're not doing terrible but you could do better I'm sure. Just depends on how crazy you wanna get. I'd say just keep up on services, check AP every couple weeks and drive real easy.

I think if you can stay around highway FE and still drive in the city then you're doing good.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info