Z7 or XP/IC

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
This is going to be daily driven.

I doubt I would upgrade beyond the base z7 kit with the T-61 (for a while) I would just use a block off and a/a IC.

First question is, realistically how much whp could be had from a base z7 kit with a dd tune?

Anything internally I should do for the turbo? Will be on a 195k daily driven motor?

What kind of trans would be needed? (IS, 7/8 chain, hard 4th, Borg Warner clutches, shit kit.... Could this trans be suitable?)

or should I keep the XP/IC setup for the Dd? Guessing I would be around 340's to the wheel with the cam setup and I know that trans would be more than fine.:hs:

Any help/ suggestions?

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Is that the current trans you have? If so it's fine, and if not, that's what i would get.

The z7 will make more power than an xp/ic'd setup any day of the week, get better gas mileage and be more reliable. It will be cheaper in the long run, cooler looking, sound better, easier to build ect. Do you need any more excuses of why choosing an m90 setup over a turbo would be stupid? :rofl: The motor should be fine, i would take 350-380whp on a nice safe DD tune with a moderate amount of boost 13-15psi.

And the xp i/c'd setup making 340whp is a stretch, that's like 6whp away from top 5 xp cam whp chart. I'd bet more like 310-315 if you're lucky. :dunno:

turbo it, delete this thread, and be happy kthx.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Is that the current trans you have? If so it's fine, and if not, that's what i would get.

The z7 will make more power than an xp/ic'd setup any day of the week, get better gas mileage and be more reliable. It will be cheaper in the long run, cooler looking, sound better, easier to build ect. Do you need any more excuses of why choosing an m90 setup over a turbo would be stupid? :rofl: The motor should be fine, i would take 350-380whp on a nice safe DD tune with a moderate amount of boost 13-15psi.

And the xp i/c'd setup making 340whp is a stretch, that's like 6whp away from top 5 xp cam whp chart. I'd bet more like 310-315 if you're lucky. :dunno:

turbo it, delete this thread, and be happy kthx.

Didn't TG make like 350WHP with the vertical smile cam?

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Umm just as an FYI, those are both non-i/c'd kits, the one that comes with an i/c just comes with some ebay garbage intercooler, no piping or any of that. So if i were you i would pick the one on the bottom. You must read between the lines my son. The "i/c'd" one has a ball bearing turbo though... :dunno:

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
Umm just as an FYI, those are both non-i/c'd kits, the one that comes with an i/c just comes with some ebay garbage intercooler, no piping or any of that. So if i were you i would pick the one on the bottom. You must read between the lines my son. The "i/c'd" one has a ball bearing turbo though... :dunno:

Yeah the IC isn't the selling point.

The bigger and ball bearing turbo is. But I don't know if it is worth the extra $400-$500.

I could use that money to buy everything else (injectors, block off plate)

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
It's not worth the extra money, don't do it. Get the stuff you need to support the turbo, ball bearing turbo's are as waste for the power levels we want to achieve. Look at phatrides car, nothing special there, stock l32 save for an st5 cam with a ct turbo kit 11.4 on a VERY safe tune and only 17psi. Turbo's are awesome, buy me one kthx.

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
It's not worth the extra money, don't do it. Get the stuff you need to support the turbo, ball bearing turbo's are as waste for the power levels we want to achieve. Look at phatrides car, nothing special there, stock l32 save for an st5 cam with a ct turbo kit 11.4 on a VERY safe tune and only 17psi. Turbo's are awesome, buy me one kthx.

awesome, thanks for the help!!

what else am i going to NEED besides block off,fuel pump, injectors? any valvetrain? headgasket? ect.?

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Well you'll only be able to go so far before you'll need springs, head gaskets should be fine, i mean if you're looking for 350whp you might be able to do it without adding anything but an i/c'd turbo kit. might need spring since your motor has quite a few miles on it. I wouldn't go past 15psi on those hg's though, might lift a head at that mileage lol

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
the first kit is from a regal guy who is on and off with his posting but has been legit in the past, just kinda flaky when it comes to being online often

x2 on F the ball bearing turbo as well as the IC.. you'll need more than just that, couplers and piping

for what else you need, what will you/do you have so far

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
the first kit is from a regal guy who is on and off with his posting but has been legit in the past, just kinda flaky when it comes to being online often

x2 on F the ball bearing turbo as well as the IC.. you'll need more than just that, couplers and piping

for what else you need, what will you/do you have so far

the only thing i will have for a turbo setup so far is a TOG dp. should i keep the 105's and through them in? should i go ahead and buy the head gaskets now so when i get the urge to add more boost? i will be trying to be around 400hp on a "safe" tune. this is a DD (for now)

i just bought a XP, 105's, IC, ported blower...but am now selling that so i can go turbo.

KJ how much for the block off?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info