VS Cam/IC or 1.9s/Meth?

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
Are you asking what you should do?? If so I say do the cam. I did the 1.8 Rockers and at the time I didnt know you could not do both. When it comes down to it its all up to you but I love the sound of the cam and its one of my biggest regrets.

Maybe I should change everything back and get one...

Reading it again I now understand. I say go for the cam and IC

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
pretty simple choice.
a cam will make an increase in HP and torque through out most of the powerband making it a better choice over rockers.

A properly setup IC kit will make more power safely on an M-90 build.
I would suggest a full size core over a SSIC(even being Phenolic), its worth the little bit extra money for the increase in efficiency.

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
Are you asking what you should do?? If so I say do the cam. I did the 1.8 Rockers and at the time I didnt know you could not do both. When it comes down to it its all up to you but I love the sound of the cam and its one of my biggest regrets.

why not get a low lift cam to work with your rockers? PRJ has had a few made IIRC.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
The VS has been showing some crazy numbers lately, def a good cam. I love all the simple cams, they all have very similar numbers but they all have shitty numbers too. The vs is hated on a lot :rofl: Not like stock heads can flow over .510 lift anyways.

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
The VS has been showing some crazy numbers lately, def a good cam. I love all the simple cams, they all have very similar numbers but they all have shitty numbers too. The vs is hated on a lot :rofl: Not like stock heads can flow over .510 lift anyways.

Yeah I don't wanna fuck with the heads just yet, only other thing that will get replaced is the timing chain/dampener and some LS6 springs will go on. If I get a cam it's VS for sure, if I go rockers I might try to find some 1.95s.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Well for the rockers, the 1.95's really won't see any more gains over just the 1.9's, i would get modded rockers and not roller rockers as well, much cheaper. However, i would like to tell you from experience, i went from rockers to cam, the cam is 10x better hands down. I should have went cam in the first place. If i were to do it again that's what i would do. There's plenty of people on here fully capable of helping with a cam install for some beer and $. Make it happen.

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
Well for the rockers, the 1.95's really won't see any more gains over just the 1.9's, i would get modded rockers and not roller rockers as well, much cheaper. However, i would like to tell you from experience, i went from rockers to cam, the cam is 10x better hands down. I should have went cam in the first place. If i were to do it again that's what i would do. There's plenty of people on here fully capable of helping with a cam install for some beer and $. Make it happen.

Yeah I'm kinda leanin toward the VS now, how much rougher does the idle get?

TommyGloves

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 23, 2007
CHICAGO
Real Name
Tom Glover
I dont hate the VS cam...

Now you are in denial. Shame.

Yeah I'm kinda leanin toward the VS now, how much rougher does the idle get?
You might feel a little stumble here and there, but overall it is very mild. It is barely noticable.

Also, before you pick a cam...what are your long term goals for the car? Like DD mentioned, the VS gives you good low-end torque. The XP and S1x will give you more up top.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Al's car with all the mounts urethane and balance shaft delete with the VS is a noticable idle but at most jingles the change in the center console.

the vs pulls pretty hard when there's my fat ass and tons of tools/parts in the car

now thats a 3.29 fdr mind you...didnt ron have a spreadsheet with the fdr and times of the cam guys (im thinking he just used s1x/xp cam data but it might prove helpfull to find that info

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info