Pulling engine and trans

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
So my buddy from OH is picking up the engine and trans this weekend. We will be pulling it on Sunday. Ive always done work inside the engine bay and never pulled one. :roflpicard:

Just wanted to go over shit and make sure I am not forgetting anything. Keep in mind, I am not putting the car back together. :hs:

Drain fluids.
Take off hood.
Remove motor mounts and trans. (uppers already out)
Disconnect vac lines from blower and electrical connections.
Unplug starter.
Disconnect PS line.
Disconnect DP.
Remove A/C. (he currently has no AC and wont be adding)
Remove Axles. (Ive heard mix results about removing struts to do this)
Remove oil filter extension.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
i would just leave the compressor and ps pump in the car. you can get the engine out with those pushed to the side.
you dont need to pull the struts to get the axles out, just the 2 bolts holding them to the steering knuckle.
since you are removing both engine and trans at the same time, it's going to be tight getting them both out. i would remove as much shit off the engine as possible (exhaust manifolds, accessory pulleys, etc) just to give yourself more wiggle room.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
hell yeahthe frontend sans everything is like 400lbs and you only need it like 30inches up +height of rollers, use blocks and jackstands under the unibosy rails on the floorpan (boxed section behind where the subframe mounts are) to hold it there to keep her steady, the hoist shouldnt be int he way esp if your rollers are as tall as the legs of the hoist (may want to put 2x4's on top of em to make sure the subframe is above the hoist legs.
roll it out through the drivers or passenger side (you can weave the one strut under the unibody rails as you roll it out)

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
So my buddy from OH is picking up the engine and trans this weekend. We will be pulling it on Sunday. Ive always done work inside the engine bay and never pulled one. :roflpicard:

Just wanted to go over shit and make sure I am not forgetting anything. Keep in mind, I am not putting the car back together. :hs:

Drain fluids.
Take off hood.
loosen motor mounts and trans. (uppers already out)
Disconnect vac lines from blower and electrical connections.
Unplug starter.
Disconnect PS line. -no need
Disconnect DP.
Remove A/C. (he currently has no AC and wont be adding) unbolt lines to compressor
Remove Axles. (Ive heard mix results about removing struts to do this) just pop the lower ball joint on the side that has to be pulled under the car
Remove oil filter extension. no need, keep her closed up so no debris gets in

cut/remove trans lines

undo harness near firewall as you lift body off subframe

leave the rack in but you may want to pop the tie rod ends (since you are pulling the struts off anyways) dont worry about the steerign shaft it will pull apart as you lift the body but its a 11mm bolt under the boot accessible from the drivers wheelwell
coolant/heater hoses

you can leave the brake booster/master in car

if your gonna seperate the engine and trans yank the converter cover/starter off and pull the three bolts before you start doing the cradle work

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info