My junk is making noise

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
With the hood open if I push down on my passenger strut tower area I hear a crunching/squeaking noise. This does not ****** me because nearly every suspension component on my car has been replaced. I had my mechanic look at it when the car was getting a alignment and he was kinda stumped because everything is newer, but thought it could be a strut mount or the new control arms that were just installed were installed incorrectly. Not sure its related to a control arm component because im pretty sure the noise happened before those were installed. That was one of the reason's I wanted new ones. We also lubed up everything and crunching/speaking still exists. I'm thinking I got ANOTHER bad NAPA strut mount. :rollpicard:

Estimated mileage on current front end components. (Car has 130K)

GMPP Sway bar ~60,000 miles (previous owner)
NAPA strut mounts ~60,000 miles (previous owner)
KYB GR2 Struts ~40,000 miles
OEM GM springs ~30,000 miles
Moog Tirods ~10,000 miles
ZZP Cradle Spacers ~10,000 miles
ZZP Motor/Trans Mounts ~5000 miles
RVR Control Arms with all new components ~400 miles
Moog Sway Bar endlinks ~400 miles
NAPA NEW Axles ~200 miles
ZZP Wheel hubs ~200 miles
Moog Sway Bar bushings ~50 miles

Whats the deal?!?

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
do yourself a favor and add a couple shots of grease to the tie rod end and lower ball joint and retest
i mught also sugest testing with the wheel turned to the locks, under load and no load
i know you asked me last night but i think i was zoned on the discharge pipe

Yeah, everything is greased up pretty good. Ill see if tuning the wheel makes any difference. Can I just impact off the big nut on the strut mount, remove the pogo thing and visually see if the bearings on the mount are busted?

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Took a closer look during lunch...

My $29 craftsman impact at home couldn't remove the nut on the mount. It seems to be tight as do the other nuts on the shock-tower.

When I move the wheel I can see the shock moving slightly in the mount on both driver and pass side.

Moving the wheel to different positions has no effect on the creaking noise.

Sounds to me like the the noise comes from lower down than the mount.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I think I found a issue...

5wi5ie.jpg

Driver side control arm bushing

w2hjxv.jpg

Passenger side control arm bushing

:eek3:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info