cam advice...

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
alright guys, i know its been beat all to hell with tons of threads but just to make sure...

i am back in the game and going cam. i have decided to jump on board with everyone and go with the XP cam. is there anything i need or any tricks/ advice to make the install go smooter?

what i know i need:
XP cam
NEW stock timing chain
90# springs
steel mod'd retainers
cam install kit

anything else?

the other mods will be:
TOG's, ported blower, intake. (more to come very soon (waiting on house tax credit ))

what size pulley do you think i could get away w/ for daily driving on a decent tune?

this is all being done on my $800 gtp w/ 190K miles...:dunno:

who is down for helping!! :dunno:

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
First post sounds about right, you might need more parts depending on how things come apart for you at 190,000 miles stuff might not cooperate like a car with 1/2 the mileage. I would run a 3.3/3.4 without an i/c and a 3.1/3.2 with an i/c, keep it happy, keep it safe.

As for the s1x, great cam, if you found one with a deal, do it. I'm assuming it's used, which is awesome, but IMO (i didn't do this so i'm a hypocrite) i would always buy a cam new. It's so risky getting a used cam, which differentiates between people, since everyone has their own opinion. Every motor wears differently, especially with almost 200k i think you should get yourself a new one. If the one you found a deal on is new then disregard this entire half of my post :rofl:

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
First post sounds about right, you might need more parts depending on how things come apart for you at 190,000 miles stuff might not cooperate like a car with 1/2 the mileage. I would run a 3.3/3.4 without an i/c and a 3.1/3.2 with an i/c, keep it happy, keep it safe.

As for the s1x, great cam, if you found one with a deal, do it. I'm assuming it's used, which is awesome, but IMO (i didn't do this so i'm a hypocrite) i would always buy a cam new. It's so risky getting a used cam, which differentiates between people, since everyone has their own opinion. Every motor wears differently, especially with almost 200k i think you should get yourself a new one. If the one you found a deal on is new then disregard this entire half of my post :rofl:

even if it has less than 20K?

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
IDK man... would you put someone else's crank in your car? I'm sure you're still paying close to $200-250 for it, what would you say to yourself it screwed stuff up and you needed a new motor over $100 difference in cost? By all means it could/will probably work fine, but sometimes saving a little extra money doesn't justify the risk to me. It's just my advice, i will not be offended if you take it or not :rofl: so it's all good man.

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
thanks for the advice guys...

so it was mentioned that the S1x likes nitrous and XP smaller pulleys. care to elaborate? i want to run spray but also like smaller pulleys because the power is there ALL of the time and i don't have to pay to refill a bottle. but i want spray for track days (when that time comes)

**when i buy everything free beer and food for anyone that wants to meet at my place for a "mod day"**

Honestly, IMO, you are looking to go too far too fast. You say you are close to 200k miles. That's ALOT of miles for a cam setup, even if you put in new supporting mods. I highly suggest you thinking about getting better supporting mods to. Better to get the good stuff now then need it later when you are broken down. Also, need to think about your trans.. Nitrous is going to fuck up your trans and your axles if they are stock.

But hey, it's your car...

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
200k is nothing, the motor is just broken in. There's no difference making 350whp on nitrous or 350whp with just a b/a setup, either way the trans isn't going to like it. Built trans? Still not going to like it, it's the name of the game and i'm sure he knows that. As for axles... first off stock axles are the best, so if they are gm axles he'll be fine, it takes quite a bit of power to actually break them, which i doubt he can/will with a stock trans anyways.

shaferz

slaps a ho
Sep 9, 2008
Central IL
Honestly, IMO, you are looking to go too far too fast. You say you are close to 200k miles. That's ALOT of miles for a cam setup, even if you put in new supporting mods. I highly suggest you thinking about getting better supporting mods to. Better to get the good stuff now then need it later when you are broken down. Also, need to think about your trans.. Nitrous is going to fuck up your trans and your axles if they are stock.

But hey, it's your car...

lol WHAT?

My trans lasted through a LOT of bottle fills. It actually lasted longer than what most non-nitrous guys had theirs last. My axles are still bonnnnnne fuckig stock.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info