So lets discuss turbos...

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
Whats the deal with people getting T67s and their cars dyno 350whp and run 12s and then there are the guys who have 62-1 and even 60-1 turbos that run low 11s and high 10s... WTF?

I've been thinking of switching the flange on my headers to do T4 w/ 3" vband instead of the current T3 and vband combo

even if I want 10s eventually I figured that I could get like the new precision 6262 or 6265, heck something around that size and still have enough thrust to get there

So how is it for turbos and power? Say I run 15 psi, will I make more power with a T67 @ that level compared to a T62? I know that the larger turbo will really pull away in terms of power and flow as you increase PSI, but if I dont want anything crazy fast then why not choose a smaller turbo?

Lastly, would it be better to run a larger turbo at a lower PSI than a smaller turbo at a higher PSI to achieve a certain HP/time level? Guess you have to look at those graphs that plot PSI and engine flow and such huh?

TIA

Kev

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
Whats the deal with people getting T67s and their cars dyno 350whp and run 12s and then there are the guys who have 62-1 and even 60-1 turbos that run low 11s and high 10s... WTF?

I've been thinking of switching the flange on my headers to do T4 w/ 3" vband instead of the current T3 and vband combo

even if I want 10s eventually I figured that I could get like the new precision 6262 or 6265, heck something around that size and still have enough thrust to get there

So how is it for turbos and power? Say I run 15 psi, will I make more power with a T67 @ that level compared to a T62? I know that the larger turbo will really pull away in terms of power and flow as you increase PSI, but if I dont want anything crazy fast then why not choose a smaller turbo?

Lastly, would it be better to run a larger turbo at a lower PSI than a smaller turbo at a higher PSI to achieve a certain HP/time level? Guess you have to look at those graphs that plot PSI and engine flow and such huh?

TIA

Kev
yeah, look at the compressor map of each unit and see what would be best for your planned setup(take your valve train, and gearing into consideration if you plant to run alot of boost on a small turbo).

As for the difference in times, its the same as what happens with any setup(tunes, weight, motor condition, fueling, traction)

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
id go smaller kev... unless your trans gets crazy serious (1" chain... gmr dif... yadda) and you cam it... i cant see the need for that gigantor turbo

gonna get rid of the rockers and get a ST2, no ST4 or anything crazy... but still gonna stay on the smaller turbo i think

there have been a couple guys who ran ST1 and ST2 cams with 62-1 or smaller turbos that ran low 11s so yea

1998gpgt

TCG Elite Member
Apr 25, 2008
Boulder, CO
my eyes glaze over when I pull up info sheets on all the different turbos of a particular brand, let alone comparing them

now i know why people just go with a pre-made setup from zzp lol

You could always just send Matt M an email. He has always been more than helpful and is IMO one of the most knowledgeable 3800 turbo guys out there. :dunno:

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
We will be pulling out V's ST2 some time over the next two months if your looking for low mile one this winter(shameless plug). Go with 130# springs if possible.
From what Im seeing your goals are, the t3/t4 would be fine. The headers will add a bit of lag to be a little more streetable with your gearing and you wont have to change a thing and add more cost to your new setup.

T3/T4 will be a fine (as stated above) Full T4 is overkill for your goals. Do you have your mind set on a T-Series turbo? Have you looked into Garrett GT series turbos (IE GT3782 or GT4287? Or even Borg Warner turbos (S400 or S500 for some serious power)? Not to take any credit away from what people run on T-Series turbos, but there are other options. Precision Turbo has some great combination's and a lot of extras you can add to help spool up (IE billet compressor wheel and extended till wheels). Do your homework, see what best suits your boost, RPM and power levels. You said 15psi is your target boost level....what do you shift at?

Handsome Jesus

A V6? What a ripoff...
TCG Premium
Jun 9, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
don't buy a holset. their compressor wheels are pretty outdated IMO. Eurocharged is thinking a bit big for this application :p I like the idea of an St2 and around a 62 - 64 sized turbo for this car. I think with his trans in there it could make for interesting results, especially by staying in higher RPM ranges throughout the pass.

finding a t3 - 3"vband turbo off the bat would be great kevin. if it is divided hotside I'll modify it for you ;) . somewhere around a .80 something AR would be good, but smaller like .60 something wouldn't be bad either.

eurocharged is right about T series turbos... they are also old technology wheels.

btw I think I know what might have been run on those headers... Gt35r... which wouldn't be a bad turbo.
http://www.frsport.com/Garrett-GT35...-Turbocharger-GT35-Familiy--63-AR_p_9273.html

and those clearly come in an undivided t3 with a 3" vband option. more than likely thats what was on there.

anyway talk to you later kev.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info