3" catback

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
Well I've thrown it out there with a few people at lukes, but i'd like to hear what others have to say

have TOGs that go down to 2.5.... looking at getting some sort of 3" catback that starts 2.5 and expands... i could feel a difference when I did that on my old white car

reason I ask is, given my gears, 1st gear on the street is pretty much worthless anyways and i know I'm giving up speed up top... figured i could let go of some trq and then gain some top-end?

keep in mind, im still on a 3.2 and the tires just blow off even at a prepped track unless I drop em to 24-25lbs and I have to be very careful! If I ever go down to a 2.8, might as well just run slicks all the time, as first will just spin

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
i know mine has different gears but you can drive it next week to see if there is a huge difference? :dunno:

you might even be able to use a slight reduction in torque to get a little more traction.

i was hoping for more of the, hey at the track day we'll swap my single 3" onto your car and see what happens, kinda thing :rofl:

i mean you got those mitts and all... :drums:

but really, i'd pay you to let me do that and see what happens, even if it is just a single mandrel 3"

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
noisy exhaust was one of the biggest factors leading to me hating the fuck out of my regal, and there's no such thing as a quiet 3" system.

3800s drone, and sound like asshole, and this system 100% will NOT gain you any power at all. Your shit will be loud, people will point and laugh at your honda sounding buick, your exhaust will weigh more, and your ears will hurt after any trip longer than 30 miles. Fuckthatalot.

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
noisy exhaust was one of the biggest factors leading to me hating the fuck out of my regal, and there's no such thing as a quiet 3" system.

3800s drone, and sound like asshole, and this system 100% will NOT gain you any power at all. Your shit will be loud, people will point and laugh at your honda sounding buick, your exhaust will weigh more, and your ears will hurt after any trip longer than 30 miles. Fuckthatalot.

ah there you are lol

um so whats with this common misconception being thrown around that with FI motor cars, the more free flowing the exhaust, the better?

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson

I agree with this

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
Yeah I guess I do too.

I love how the car sounds, but really it is still slow, so it doesn't need to be that loud. my car is quiet cruising but accelerating is loud as hell.

just go turbo kevin. that makes the best muffler for a 3" exhaust. perfect logic right?

My car is loud enough to go 10s. too bad it only goes 14s.

eh, i talked to a guy on the regal boards about twin-charging.. too bad even though its not much more stuff, its still like 4k for the kit, yikes

idk, how much turbo stuff you got left over from the black car?

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
ah there you are lol

um so whats with this common misconception being thrown around that with FI motor cars, the more free flowing the exhaust, the better?

With a turbo, sure, I'd agree completely.

With a blower, noop.
These things flow well on the exhaust side out of the box (well, the heads at least). Throw some headers on it, and you're good. The downstream really doesn't affect power production much. I really don't have a good explanation for it (I'm sure I could come up with something but whatev), but I've seen it time and again. Blower cars with cutouts picking up almost zero power, etc.

I suppose we're talking GS exhaust here though, and if that's the case, then yes, it sucks, badly in comparison to the GP system it seems. I'd recommend going to a stock GP system, at least from the Y back, or a single muff 2.5" system, with a big res. 2.5 will flow plenty, will be lighter, and will sound less like asshole...

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
anyone who believes any 3800 sounds decent (without a turbo on it) needs to get their ears checked, or at the very least, hear it from outside the car, i.e. following behind while someone else drives it.

NA and blower 3800s do not sound good, ever, period. It's one baby step above your average ricer sound...barf.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info